Discuss New build house smell in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

I'm sorry to hear your having such an issue. I work with a few builders and it is a common misconception by them that an AAV is the same as an open vent.
The drainage should definitely be installed as per the original plans which should of been inspected very early on by the Building Control representative. However I would say at the moment, with the current climate, not as many site inspections are being completed. They are also not very thorough. I am currently renovating and extending a property and the building inspection regime is me sending them photos to highlight whatever they want to see.
As mentioned by someone above, you can pay for an inspection report by an external company that will check the building standards against current regulations and the original plans and produce a report that may be vital down the line if you have further issues or struggle to rectify this one. Hope it all works out.

I'm sorry to hear your having such an issue. I work with a few builders and it is a common misconception by them that an AAV is the same as an open vent.
The drainage should definitely be installed as per the original plans which should of been inspected very early on by the Building Control representative. However I would say at the moment, with the current climate, not as many site inspections are being completed. They are also not very thorough. I am currently renovating and extending a property and the building inspection regime is me sending them photos to highlight whatever they want to see.
As mentioned by someone above, you can pay for an inspection report by an external company that will check the building standards against current regulations and the original plans and produce a report that may be vital down the line if you have further issues or struggle to rectify this one. Hope it all works out.
Thank you for your reply and understanding. This was meant to be our retirement house with no problems! If we have an independent inspection and there are faults found (which we already know) how do we get the builder to comply. We really dont want a legal fight. All three houses have problems, we moved in at the same time.

Hi

AAV do not relieve positive pressures in drain systems only negative ones, I have been called to many houses where the plumber has fitted AA valves which then causes a positive pressure and blows the traps.

A lot of modern plumbers were not trained when we actually use to fit soil and vent pipes for that reason.

Every house shouild have at least on vent pipe, if you have a unvented cylinder like a lot of modern houses then the regs say that the soil pipe needs to be vented, sorry just another fault that seems to be regulary occuring event now.
There is a holding tank in next doors garden with a pump to the main drainage system, this is for us three houses. There is no vent on the tank or on any of the houses. According to the plans there should be two SVP and roof vents. None here! We seem to be banging our heads against a brick wall to get the builder to even answer us. Meanwhile we live with this disgusting smell.

Yes try the one marked inspection chamber.
The noise from sink is air being draged in to break the vacuum in waste.
All lines up with what we already know.
Nothing wrong with a young tradesman doing the work but maybe more supervision required?
Update: Hi, we have had plumbers here for 3 days. Firstly to vent the unvented tank on the pumping station, then to install a (very ugly but necessary) SVP to our family bathroom to replace the AAV under the bath. Then on checking the drain manholes it was found that the drain from the kitchen was not draining away properly, the angle was not right.....on digging it out they found another pipe going the other way discharging to under our kitchen floor! On the now obtained plans it seems this should have been to another SVP. No wonder we had such a dreadful smell. The plumbers were fantastic and really cared but were horrified to find this. Anyway now bunged off and pipe reseated in correct angle. So heres hoping! Thank you ALL for your help, it has been truly wonderful that so many of you were/are on here to help people like us.

Update: Hi, we have had plumbers here for 3 days. Firstly to vent the unvented tank on the pumping station, then to install a (very ugly but necessary) SVP to our family bathroom to replace the AAV under the bath. Then on checking the drain manholes it was found that the drain from the kitchen was not draining away properly, the angle was not right.***.on digging it out they found another pipe going the other way discharging to under our kitchen floor! On the now obtained plans it seems this should have been to another SVP. No wonder we had such a dreadful smell. The plumbers were fantastic and really cared but were horrified to find this. Anyway now bunged off and pipe reseated in correct angle. So heres hoping! Thank you ALL for your help, it has been truly wonderful that so many of you were/are on here to help people like us.
We like a happy ending 😃. Kop

You could have another waste pipe concealed behind kitchen unit. If there is space for a washing machine but you have never connected it up. Then there will be a waste pipe with a trap where the water would of evapourating preventing it from doing it's job of keeping sewage smells out. Most bew builds will have two spaces for dishwasher and washing machine. I know you mentioned that smell stopped when plug on kitchen sink but that could be a coincidence and plus kitchen sink trap looks fine and you hadn't covered overflow. If there is space where another appliance cab go then check to see if the wooden panel as a small hole cut out for drain and water inlet can go. You will be able to remove panel by undoing screws. Hope this helps

Reply to New build house smell in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock