Discuss New build house smell in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

If there is a vent tile or even a ridge vent easily identified from outside just looks different!
When you look in roof space if vent exists should be easy to see 110mm pipe.
As for building inspector absolute rubbish . They inspect buildings at a number of stages if vent exists it probably went in at first fix stage so should have been seen at pre plaster inspection.
When they sign a building off they are confirming its built to what the plans and specifications say and its to current regulations.
Maybe time for a word with the solicitor who did the conveyancing?

If there is a vent tile or even a ridge vent easily identified from outside just looks different!
When you look in roof space if vent exists should be easy to see 110mm pipe.
As for building inspector absolute rubbish . They inspect buildings at a number of stages if vent exists it probably went in at first fix stage so should have been seen at pre plaster inspection.
When they sign a building off they are confirming its built to what the plans and specifications say and its to current regulations.
Maybe time for a word with the solicitor who did the conveyancing?
Well, we looked in roof space, nothing to see inside or out. Stroma have sent plans, there should be two svp with roof vents. No AAV on plan yet we have one. The conveyancor is on holiday! We e-mailed builder as its only way to contact him, no reply as yet. Stroma have said its not their job to sort this out. It's getting to the point of moving but how with this smell.

Absolutely dreadful Stroma do have a responsibility they signed of a property not built to plan that did nor meet building regulations.
Any back up guarantee n h b c or similar?

Absolutely dreadful Stroma do have a responsibility they signed of a property not built to plan that did nor meet building regulations.
Any back up guarantee n h b c or similar?
Only an architects guarantee, that is not for 10yrs. We really dont want a fight but just to get it sorted out. With all the great info you have given us we have at least got an understanding of what should be happening. The plans are very different to what we actually have in many respects, build wise. We relied on local knowledge of the builder, we moved 500miles. Had the dishwasher on last evening and the smell drifted into the kitchen. Do you think a vent on the pump station would help, that is in the garden next door?
We really appreciate your time in helping us.

You really do need to have the vent on your own drains, and it's now obvious the original designer though so too.
As a very temporary solution I would follow the advice give by Ric on #78 and lift a inspection chamber lid slightly.
As you main problem seems to be your kitchen sink I would be quite interested to know if the drainage to that is as per plan.

You really do need to have the vent on your own drains, and it's now obvious the original designer though so too.
As a very temporary solution I would follow the advice give by Ric on #78 and lift a inspection chamber lid slightly.
As you main problem seems to be your kitchen sink I would be quite interested to know if the drainage to that is as per plan.
Would that ease the pressure, we have loads of drains in the garden, only one says inspection chamber, is that the one we should lift? The plumbing on the whole house was done by a lad of 21yrs, very nice but I do wonder how experienced he could be. He said he just followed plans given to him by the Boss. He did put a small AAV under sink a while ago which made no difference. The washing machine in the utility is making so much noise from the sink above it when it drains. I put the plug in and it seems to stop the noise, its a very loud sucking noise. We get the feeling that we should be enjoying our new home but sadly we are not.

Yes try the one marked inspection chamber.
The noise from sink is air being draged in to break the vacuum in waste.
All lines up with what we already know.
Nothing wrong with a young tradesman doing the work but maybe more supervision required?

If in doubt, open the chamber, run the sink taps, and see if you can see water run through it. Then flush the toilet: does water run thorugh it?

I would imagine the two will both run through the same chamber, but if not, let us know as it will give us something to scratch our chins over.

If in doubt, open the chamber, run the sink taps, and see if you can see water run through it. Then flush the toilet: does water run thorugh it?

I would imagine the two will both run through the same chamber, but if not, let us know as it will give us something to scratch our chins over.
Well, just had a call from Stroma, they have contacted the builder {after we had the plans sent to us, which bears no resemblance to our house drain wise, and they were told that a SVP was being installed in our house next week along with venting of the holding tank at the pump station! We have not yet been informed by the builder so we wait to see. I think that Stroma have been very worried that they signed off something which was not correct, although he did add 'its not an exact science' when my husband questioned why plans were different to what we had. I will update you (if you like) if and when it happens!

Reply to New build house smell in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock