Discuss New build house smell in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Agreed. Then get plumber to replace the trap on that sink or washbasin with an air inlet or resealing trap. Could be a DIY job if you're handy.
Plumber did put a small AAV on but that didn't stop smell. The u bend doesn't have a trap as such on, should I change to one with a convential trap?

Replied but not shown....New to this! Did as you said but not covered overflows. The kitchen sink seems to be culprit. Plumber did put a small AAV ON but smell continued. It has a u bend (p trap?) Should I change that to an actual trap one?
A (U bend) P trap IS a trap! So what do you mean by a conventional trap?

I was going to mention overflows, but you stated use of plugs had stopped the smell. So my guess in the dark is that it's something that doesn't have an overflow.

Can't you use your nose to smell the plugholes and overflows to find the source of the problem?

Failing that, if you're still stuck, pictures of your undersink plumbing might show something interesting...

Oddly the plug holes don't seem to smell. I meant a trap that you can unscrew at the bottom...sorry I don't know much about plumbing. But I still have kitchen plug in filled with water and no smell! Will attempt a photo! Thanks

Attachments

• 16263472128262121235595.jpg
    16263472128262121235595.jpg
    237 KB · Views: 35
  • 1626347270940-521019766.jpg
    1626347270940-521019766.jpg
    239.4 KB · Views: 34
I've seen better, but I've also seen worse and I can't see a smoking gun, sorry.

You smell it from the sink itself? I'm wondering if it might not be sewer gasses, but a smell from whatever may be sitting in the pipes upstream of the trap, seeing as looks like you have 2 sinks and a washing machine (?) all on one trap.

I've seen better, but I've also seen worse and I can't see a smoking gun, sorry.

You smell it from the sink itself? I'm wondering if it might not be sewer gasses, but a smell from whatever may be sitting in the pipes upstream of the trap, seeing as looks like you have 2 sinks and a washing machine (?) all on one trap.
No don't smell directly from sink but smell seems to be stronger about 30ft from sink where no evident plumbing is. It's an intermittant smell and quite disgusting. We were away for a couple of days and house was terrible, had to take deep breath run in and open all doors/Windows & run all taps. It's a double sink, big & small with a dishwasher. Could it be a problem with shared pumping to main drain, just 3 houses. Next door has a smell too but in their main bathroom. Any thoughts would be welcome!

No don't smell directly from sink but smell seems to be stronger about 30ft from sink where no evident plumbing is. It's an intermittant smell and quite disgusting. We were away for a couple of days and house was terrible, had to take deep breath run in and open all doors/Windows & run all taps. It's a double sink, big & small with a dishwasher. Could it be a problem with shared pumping to main drain, just 3 houses. Next door has a smell too but in their main bathroom. Any thoughts would be welcome!
Drains are indeed smellier when not all houses have an open soil and vent pipe, and where lots of houses use them, but the point is that if the traps are there and working and all pipework is airtight then the foul air in the pipework should not be able to escape into the building.

30ft away and you are still blaming the sink? You must have a large house! But speaking seriously, if it's that far away, I'd be more inclined to suspect a leaking joint in the waste pipework somewhere (perhaps under the floor?) rather than a trap at 30' distance. Would recommend a plumber be called to carry out a pressure test (it's not a high pressure, but it'll tell you if there is a duff joint somewhere) of your waste plumbing (which you'd have hoped would have been done already seeing as it's a newbuild).

Reply to New build house smell in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock