Currently reading:
New Boiler Advice please...

Discuss New Boiler Advice please... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there,
my house, two storey, 4 bedroom, 10 rads, was built 1990 and I still have the same boiler from new, which is located in the kitchen, next to the back door, so is 25 years old and also rated G at 65% or worse... And its clunking... It is called, Baxi Solo WM 50/4 RS...

I would like to change this boiler for something similar. Cant really afford to change it to a combi right now, and dont want to go through ripping the upstairs floor apart etc...

There 3 pipes into the top. Flow/Return at 22mm (Both connected to PF (pumped flow), and PR (pumped return) (so a fuly pumped system as the manual calls it) ... No pipes are connected to the GF or GR connectors at the top of the boiler).... and a 15mm gas pipe...

If it is at all possible, I would like to have the new boiler use the existing large flue pipe hole.. I imagined that the flue hole was circular, but reading the manual, it is probably rectangular, and without knowing the rectangular flue hole size, it looks bigger than circular ones I have seen. (Similar in size to 2 house bricks).

I have tried to measure the loction of the flue in relation to the boiler, assumed it was centre of the 450mm wide boiler.. Do not assume, lol.. If the width of the boiler is 450mm, the centre of the flue appears to 200mm from the left or 250mm from the right.. (so it sits a little left of centre)... For measurements top to bottom of 600mm, the centre of the flue is 425mm from the bottom and 175mm from the top..

So, I am after recommendations for a category A boiler, with a back mounted flue, not bothered if flue is now round as it cango into rectangular hole and can be cemented/filled..

At the same time, I would look to change the timer. My mum has a timer that she keeps in her lounge and it works by wireless of some type instead of going into the kitchen to change things. So, what would be a suitable wireless timer that matches whatever boiler is good?

Cheers
CJ

best to get a gas safe heating eng in to talk you through it

Not just as simple as a straight swap I'm afraid get quotes from 4-5 independent companies asking for what boiler what controls and what other work they would be doing you will be shocked I'm sure and don't go for the cheapest quote and haggling is often allowed :)

Too many variables , like already suggested get engineers in to give free estimates and upgrade advice on best system,
Note, most flues are circular and 4" but existing holes can be used , the gas pipe will probably need to be upgraded depending on length of run,,
The only way you can use a wireless programmer with a fully pumped s or y plan system is if you fit a worcester with the optional diverter valve which does away with the zone valves and you get a tank sensor aswell, there maybe other options so best to get engineers in to advise properly,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to New Boiler Advice please... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back