Search the forum,

Discuss Negative or positive head shower pump? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

R1CKY

Hi guys, a little advice if you please! I got called to a job today to look at a shower pump that had died. It was a small salamander unit that looks as if one of the impeller housings has overheated and blistered, causing a leak.

The shower pump is in the loft, above the shower head and about 30cm below the cold water storage cistern. Pump has a minimum static pressure of 0.6 Metres and obviously it only has 0.3 Metres static head, will this have caused the damage to the pump housing?

I know Negative head usually refers to the shower outlet being higher than the cistern, but would a negative head pump be required in this instance?

negative head doesnt necessarily have to be above the cwsc - it can be within 2 foot of it too - i have one now i am having to change due to head being level with bottom of the cistern

Just spoke to Salamander technical and there is no way around the lack of head between the pump and cistern. Plan is now to replace an additional pump in the airing cupboard with a 3bar and run the two showers from this.

The pipework will be going level with the cistern, so a negative head pump will be required I take it?

Sounds like a negative required but salamander do a descent 3bar pump for neg or pos head. Just select which mode they suggest negative head mode if it is close. Just has a little vessel on the side that sensorsany water movement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Negative or positive head shower pump? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

A
Hey, here goes and I hope it works.. never used one of these before! I have a Sagittarius Ergo mixer shower min bar of pressure required 1 bar. Connect to this is a 1.5 bar Ora Salamander pump for a positive head, this was connected by a plumber of course and we’ve had it all rigged up...
Replies
Views
I have a negative head twin impeller Stuart Turner pump feeding hot and cold to three showers, one bath, plus hot to three basin's from my gravity fed, loft cold water tank and airing cupboard hot water tank. Occasionally the pump operates for a couple of seconds without demand for water. More...
Replies
Views
T
Hansgrohe Raindance Select E Shower System 120 with Showertablet Select Thermostatic Mixer and Shower Rail 90cm - 27027400 This shower states can be used with a universal (negative head) pump but my pump is a gravity fed positive head installation. My question is would I be ok to use this...
Replies
Views
Hi, After years of using a pumped electric shower (Triton t80 pumped), it's now dying and I'd like to replace it with a 'normal' mixer shower running off the vented hot water tank as this is now largely heated by solar PV . When we first moved to the house there was a shower head coming off the...
Replies
Views
Hello. I am planning to build a small half bath in my garage, next to a washing machine, using old showers plumbing. There was a stand-alone shower in the garage which has been removed. Unfortunately the pipes are only 1.5" on that side of the house since there's no bathroom and the house is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock