Search the forum,

Discuss Mystery leak around a window in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jo 1

Please help. i have a odd leak around my window that seems to have no origin.I know this is impossible but there's no condensation and it hasn't rained in a week. there is a slow drip of water running down the centre of the kitchen window frame window shuts it's then pooling on the outside cill and then dripping onto the slabs outside. i turned off the mains and went to work and contacted my home emergency insurers who weren't interested because there isn't any damage. i then asked a builder friend to pop around after work. Obviously, as the water had been turned off all day, there was no drip and the damp patch on the slabs had dried up over the course of the day. i turned the water back on and nothing happened. he hung around for 30 mins or so to check the pipes in the bathroom which is directly above kitchen. Took the bath panel off to have a look nothing! all the rest of the pipework in the bathroom is exposed and there was nothing. The soil waste pipe is blocked in so this couldn;t be checked. any hoo, as nothing was happening, i kind of hoped it had all been a bit of a one off (lol). later that evening i went outside and there it was again, no rain, no condensation, just this slow drip coming of the cill. i then realised i had an additional insurance with homeserve and called them the following morning. they were great and said they'd send a plumber around but i was to turn the water off. i tried to explain it need to stay on so the plumber could actually see the drip but they were insistent i turn it off. i took a photo of the damp patch as i knew there would be nothing when he turned up. Plumber turns up at 3pm and sure enough, no leak or damp patch. i was able to show him a picture of the damp patch i had taken that morning. he was really helpful and checked my internal pipework and watched my water meter for any signs of a leak and could find none. He was adamant it was not a plumbing issue but was genuinely as confused as me. We spent ages discussing possible causes but nothing makes sense. Apart from the fact it hasn't rain in week and there's no condensation, there is no plumbing higher than the bathroom as i don't have a water tank in the loft and no central heating system. the only pipe work is at the back of the house around the kitchen and bathroom.
has anyone got any ideas??? i've spent most of the night trawling the internet but can't find anything even remotely similar to my problem.
i'm thinking it must have something to do with the toilet and the soil stack but, if that was the case, the water would have to travel horizontally to be able to pop out around my kitchen window frame. don't know what to do and really worried as i don't have much money and it's beginning to look like wall's are going have to be cut into to find out what's going on.
any advice would be appreciated, many thanks Jo

Why did home serve say its not a plumbing issue? Of course its a plumbing issue

If you have turned your mains water off and its stopped then its coming from a mains pipe have you taken up floor boards in the bathroom? Do you have a shower? If so what type? The only way really your going to find the problem is to check all water pipes above the area and don't forget water doesn't always drip from directly under the problem I'm had many cases where the drip coming thru the ceiling was no where near the problem hope you get it sorted but without being there it really is hard to give accurate advice

Hello and welcome. I have just fixed a similar problem in a bungalow with a roof space conversion.
A drip would come out between the tiles and top of window.
I checked exact line of the drip in attic, getting in from side of a bedroom and found a basin waste pipe had been put into the eaves and teed from shower waste towards soil stack.
Waste pipe was short and not into fitting. Typical builders "plumber" mess.
There has to be something and I suggest the area above is thoroughly checked again

hi thank you for repsonding. i've responding to the suggestions i've had on this site but don't think i've been doing it right as a result i might be repeating myself the homeserve guy suggested i go into the loft to see if there's water coming in. i know there is no plumbing of any sort up there and it hasn't rained in a week. i will go up there, just to rule it out completely. my house is a small timber framed affair built in the early eighties. i don't have central heating only a boiler the kitchen sink which heats my water. all the pipe work is at the back corner of the house where the kitchen and bathroom are. the pipework in the bathroom to the toilet and basin is exposed so i can see there is no leak there. the rest of the pipe work is behind the bath and is exposed. i have removed the bath panel and all the tiles on the shelf along the bath so can see the pipes leading into the waste pipe quite clearly and it's bone dry and quite dusty. i had a bath this morning just to see what happened when i let the water out. whilst i was running the bath, i went outside to see what was going on with the leak and it was gone! completely dried up. the flue thing for the gas boiler is under the kitchen windsor so i assumed the heat evaporated the drip.when i emptied the bath, nothing happened, the drip did not re-appear (or hasn't done yet). does this mean i can rule out a problem with the waste pipe?

hi T H plumbing. thank you for your repsonse. the water meter wasn't moving with the mains on that's why he was adamant it wasn't a plumbing issue. it was quite difficult to persuade him otherwise as i'm completely ignorant regarding plumbing but common sense would dictate there has to be a plumbing problem. i really think it would have helped matters if the drip was actually happening at the time but it seems to take a bit of time to come through when the water has been turned off. don't have a shower and i'm not seeing any other signs of water coming through anywhere else. i'm going to take a water meter reading today with the mains on, go out for a few hours, and check it when i come back. just trying to rule things out at the moment.

Have you got an overflow pipe going through the wall above your leak
These can be split etc, have also seen rodent damage within the cavity causing your issues
Fluctuating mains water pressure will dictate whether the fill valve passes or not

hi there, yes i have but it's sound. no damage at all and it's not directly over the drip. however, my neighbour's overflow pipe looks really rough but has done for years. it's about two feet away from mine.

actually, there's more of a twist to this mystery. i took a meter reading earlier today and then went out for several hours. when i checked the meter when i cam home, it was exactly the same. so there's no leak. i came home at round 5.30pm and checked the window. there was nothing there. i've just gone outside to have another look (8pm) and lo and behold, the drip has started again. Is this a weird condensation thing as i haven't used any of the taps since coming home but the house has warmed up, especially the kitchen as the oven has been on. the weird thing is there is no condensation on the window itself so where is this drip coming from???

Last edited by a moderator:
I would suggest talking to your neighbour and asking them to check the fill valve in their toilet. Also check your own water level in the toilet cistern when the leak is occurring.

thank you for this advice it's much appreciated. i'll do this tonight as it seems the leak always seems to be worst in the evening/ over night. i will speak to my neighbour as well. should have done so before now really but she's 96!

long shot but it may be to do with increased water pressure. less water being drawn off in evening/at night so higher pressure in mains?

Or it could be simply an overflow running when no water is being run off a cistern at evenings or nights. Check your neighbours if all else fails.

Turn your neighbours water off overnight to confirm, with her permission of course

IT WAS THE NEIGHBOUR'S CISTERN OVERFLOWING!!!:hurray: THANKS EVERYONE FOR THE ADVICE. YOU'RE ALL AWESOME

I thought that's what was likely.
Nice to hear how it turned out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Mystery leak around a window in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock