Discuss My gas Safe man say's.............................. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

smiffyz

Hi, I'm a Builder who now teaches Construction and after 20 years of being a self employed Builder i've come to the point where if a Gas Safe engineer tells me something isn't safe then i believe him, why wouldn't i he's the expert.
So here's my problem.

I'm in the process of having my new 9k kitchen completed, the units are all in and the Granite tops are fitted, just the new 700mm 5 burner gas hob needs connecting up. Along comes my engineer and nope he says, the wall units are to close to the top of the burners, if they end at the sides of the hob which they do, they should be be a minimum of 450 mm above the top of the cast iron burner which they're not, they're only 350 mm. So obviously he wouldnt make the connection.

So i phone the surveyor who approved the installation who says it'll be ok because he was corgi reg 5 years ago and he could assure me it'll be fine.

Now i've been on the Bosch website and looked at the installation instructions and sure enough it's exactly as my gas man says. So i phone the surveyor back and he says it's only a guide.
Now the company are sending out another surveyor to have a look and i'd like to show him in black and white the actual regs. My man tells me that if the wall units stay the height they are now then they need to be further away from the edge of the hob (if you lose on the height then you must gain on the width) which i do understand and it sounds reasonable, or have a smaller (600mm) hob which would give me a 100mm gap either side of the hob so the units could stay 350mm above.

Can i have some opinions please, i'd like to hit the surveyor with a few facts and maybe point him to some actual regs because i 've got the feeling that they'll try and fob me off with "that only applies to Bosch" or something similar.

Sorry i gone on a bit!

Cheers Guy's and Gal's

Geoff

a good first post fell and you gas man is quite right the units are a combustible material and are sited too close. Manufacturers Instructions are the law they are not a guide . if not fitted correctly you may find your insurance is invalid

glad to know your gas engineer know his stuff.

The manufactures instructions must be followed to the letter. The manufacturer can reduce the clearances set out in the british standards, they would have had to have testing done to prove this is suitable. The measurement is normally from the pan arm, as this is the position of the flame.

Also if the hob and hood instructions give conflicting clearences the gas appliance instructions must always be followed.

the surveyor is at fault and should know these simple rules, as should the kitchen fitter. It should be fixed at there expense.

welcome to the forum.

If you have checked the instructions for the hob and they want a specific minimum then it is not guidance it is mandatory, your surveyor has made a mistake and now trying to cover his bum, show him the instructions , then discuss your compensation haha, and include an extra ÂŁ20 for the gas guys hassle
I'm suck arguing with surveyor types who think they know best, refer him to BS 6172 as well (although technically this is where he might try to argue about reference) but it says in there that a new appliance must be fitted as per instructions, an earlier post mentioned conflicting dimensions between job and extractor saying hob must be complied with ( in actual fact if there is conflict then the greater dimension must be used, ie hob says minimum clearance to ***bustible material is 760 mm and extractor says it can be fitted 650 above a gas job then hob over rules, if other way about then extractor must be obeyed, maybe the reality will be the hob IS always the larger)

glad to know your gas engineer know his stuff.

The manufactures instructions must be followed to the letter. The manufacturer can reduce the clearances set out in the british standards, they would have had to have testing done to prove this is suitable. The measurement is normally from the pan arm, as this is the position of the flame.

Also if the hob and hood instructions give conflicting clearences the gas appliance instructions must always be followed.

the surveyor is at fault and should know these simple rules, as should the kitchen fitter. It should be fixed at there expense.

welcome to the forum.

Ha, Kitchen fitters

They plumbed in the new sink at 11am yesterday.
11pm last night we were lying in bed and i could hear the combi boiler working, i got up and checked all the taps were off, heating was off too, thought i could have been my daughter using something and went back to bed.
Got up, went out to feed my fish in the pond and the outside tap was full on flooding the garden, as i went to switch it off i noticed steam, they'd only connected hot to cold and cold to hot and left the tap on outside all night that theyd used to drain off the pipes.
21hrs of piping hot water flooding the garden all night!!

Cheers for the confirmation that my man was right, i'll see what the surveyor says when he comes.

geoff

id be hitting them for the price to fix there mistake also a water and gas bill for what they have wasted in water.

tell them about water regs and what is says about waste

I"ve lost count of the hobs ive refused to connect cos the units are to close or the extracters to loo

exactly as stated.

no gas operative (unless incompetent) will fit it anyway!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to My gas Safe man say's.............................. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Article
A Plumber Who Worked Illegally Gets A Suspended Sentence After Falsely Claiming To Be Gas Safe Registered. A Plumber in Herefordshire was...
Replies
Views
S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and...
Replies
Views
Sonya K
S
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock