Search the forum,

Discuss My first cylinder install with boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not off the top of my head mate. But mould start with building regs g3.

Leave it with me and I will see what I can find

Read me hypothetical post Shaun :)

I said after where there tee’d, thus a blockage before the D1, not trying to play Devils advocate too much!

Cheers harvest, will check back in my last study book.

Last renewed my ticket in 2015/2016 so it had changed to include vented hot water as well.

Read me hypothetical post Shaun :)

I said after where there tee’d, thus a blockage before the D1, not trying to play Devils advocate too much!

What would block it

I could understand d2 blocking due to moss / other things also if d1 is blocked you have bigger issues than back flow you have a bomb :D

That’s why I said Hypothetical, worst case etc :D

Imagine if it was blocked, can you see what i’m trying to say about backflow, x-contamination etc?

Remember the water regs about disconnecting filling loops after topping up systems to prevent backflow.

Which i’m sure we all disconnect ;)

That’s why I said Hypothetical, worst case etc :D

Imagine if it was blocked, can you see what i’m trying to say about backflow, x-contamination etc?

Remember the water regs about disconnecting filling loops after topping up systems to prevent backflow.

Which i’m sure we all disconnect ;)

Don't think it would matter when half your house blows up (then some heating water would get into the mains anyway)

Okay guys thanks for the swift response i’ll Check back up as I was led to believe it contraves water regs as it could lead to cross contamination of potable water supply with heating water discharge.

(Hypothetical , worst case scenario, I know Lol) I.e blockage after where both pipes are tee’d in, heating system then discharges at 3 bar, then passing expansion relief valve at cold water inlet group could lead to backflow into cold water supply.
The inlet valve has a NRV inside so no chance of cross contamination.. also there is an air gap via the tundish so again, not much chance of backflow.. also the likelihood of a blockage is pretty much slim to never..

The D2 pipe will block easily at end if something gathered near the ground outlet, or if a gulley blocked on a stupid regulations method of the end of the pipe terminating below the gulley grid was used. That just air locks the D2 and water will come out of tundish

Check valves do fail Jay and let by.

I know that the set-up you have done will be fine, but i was just querying whether it was done to standard, as when I did my first G3 it was a no-no.

As said I will look up info or speak to CIPHE and post back.

Happy to be proved wrong :)

Hi Guys,

Update for anyone that is still interested, or has the will to live!

I’ve spoke to one of the tech advisers at the CIPHE and he’s said G3 regs only cover the potable water discharges into D1 & D2, and not the discharges from central heating. Therefore you shouldn’t combine them.

I then asked him where it says in any doc or reg that you cannot do it, and he basically said if an incident happened (I.e flood from tundish causing water damage due to all discharges blowing off at same time or others etc) and it went to court then the expert witness’s would pull out the G3 discharge drawing (the one that’s in all u/v cylinder install instructions) and then basically say show me on that drawing where it shows that the central heating blow-off is allowed to be connected into the D1/D2 pipework.

As we all know the drawing shows no such thing.

Hope this helps anyone out in the future.

Cheers.

Your best person to as is building control also not totally true

Found this in the G3 regs

IMG_3449.PNG

Thanks for that Shaun, I read that before when I was checking up and that just refers to blow-offs from domestic water and not heating, as G3 covers vented/unvented domestic water only and not central heating (or central heating blow-offs).

With building control I have to disagree with you, the CIPHE help write the regs and standards etc in conjunction with others like APHC and HHIC so if anyone knows what they’re talking about it’s them.

Just putting it out there :)

Wrong G3 covers anything under the umbrella of vented, unvented and solar etc( which a heating system is an unvented system just no stored water)

Also doesn't state just potable water only says discharge from safety device

Also ciphe do help but overall but building control write them and enforce them also they the regulating body

Last edited:
Hi Guys,

I’ve spoke to one of the tech advisers at the CIPHE and he’s said G3 regs only cover the potable water discharges into D1 & D2, and not the discharges from central heating. Therefore you shouldn’t combine them.

I then asked him where it says in any doc or reg that you cannot do it, and he basically said if an incident happened (I.e flood from tundish causing water damage due to all discharges blowing off at same time or others etc) and it went to court then the expert witness’s would pull out the G3 discharge drawing (the one that’s in all u/v cylinder install instructions) and then basically say show me on that drawing where it shows that the central heating blow-off is allowed to be connected into the D1/D2 pipework.

Cheers.
Well I’ll be...

I think your having trouble interpreting the regs Shaun, so you just carry on as you are. If you need clarification from people more intelligent than me and who can explain better than me then please ring CIPHE tech for assistance ;)

Tried to help by doing some proper research so I hope it can be of use to others.

Thanks again.

Hi Guys,

Cheers.
Totally hear you, but it also does not state that it cannot be connected to a CH PRV. So it’s kind of down to interpretation in my eyes. In an u/v cylinder manual I believe it will only discuss the discharge from that appliance, and not others ie central heating so the drawing will only display that of the u/v discharge pipework.

I’m the first, as others will tell you, if I’ve done something and it’s wrong I will immediately go and rectify my mistake and learn from it. But unless I read something that tells me a c/h PRV cannot be connected to the u/v discharge pipework I think I’ll continue to do as I’ve done here. However, I will do some research also and try to get a definitive answer (he says!) from somewhere.

I think your having trouble interpreting the regs Shaun, so you just carry on as you are. If you need clarification from people more intelligent than me and who can explain better than me then please ring CIPHE tech for assistance ;)

Tried to help by doing some proper research so I hope it can be of use to others.

Thanks again.

thats the thing they have nothing to do with building regs enforcement / tell if is wrong

Same as me Jay, never stop learning.

Try ringing CIPHE tech like I did, they will provide a definite answer and they deal with cases like this in court as they are expert plumbing witness’s, if you want I can post up their telephone number?

They can also explain better than I can on a keyboard :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to My first cylinder install with boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock