Search the forum,

Discuss My double flush toilet has developed a fault. It won't stop filling eve when I pull the float arm right up. I have replaced the inlet valve diaphragm in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

My double flush toilet has developed a fault. It won't stop filling eve when I pull the float arm right up. I have replaced the inlet valve diaphragm but this has made no difference
What else can i try?

New fill valve

Pic of valve

IMG_20211011_161147.jpg

Thanks. What adjustment is available? Lifting the float arm right up doesn't shut off the flow so no point adjusting the float
The only adjustment is the float arm, I’ve had some that don’t shut off when fully up, try a gradual lift (as this is how it would shut off) and see if that works.

Could be the equilibrium chamber isn't sealing when the arm is lifting and so it won't shut off. Debris on the rubber bit that seals the equilibrium chamber that forces the diaphagm to shut? If you don't have a clue what I'm on about, better to replace the valve really, and, realistically, modern fill valves are highly strung affairs that you sometimes can't see anything wrong with - and yet...

Also sometimes those Armitage Shanks valves don't seal with low water pressure, so if you've shut down any stopcocks or isolators recently, try opening them again.

The only adjustment is the float arm, I’ve had some that don’t shut off when fully up, try a gradual lift (as this is how it would shut off) and see if that works.
Yes! I've had an AS fill valve that wouldn't re-seal if it opened up with an already full cistern - it only shut off with a gradual lift from an empty cistern.

To be annoying. (I suppose it also helps alert the homeowner to a dripping flush valve).

Fluidmaster pro fill valve with brass shank

Thanks guys. I've already replaced the rubber thingy to no avail. Do I just need to replace the whole unit? Are they easy to get the right model?
No, the other rubber bit no one ever talks about. Which is not a common failure, but in theory it could.

You can replace the whole unit if you like. Most fill valves are universal - you just need a bottom inlet model that will physically fit that cistern. We all have our favourite brands if you care to search what we've previously discussed on the forum, but let's start that one up again as it's boring, basically.

EDIT - Shaun, you beat me to it. But I'm not taking part.

Yep less chance of cross threading when it comes to the bottom nut

My double flush toilet has developed a fault. It won't stop filling eve when I pull the float arm right up. I have replaced the inlet valve diaphragm but this has made no difference
What else can i try?
Replace the valve as the diaphragm has not been fitted properly.
There must be water coming from the pin so that it builds up pressure on the - side of the valve so that it shuts off

Reply to My double flush toilet has developed a fault. It won't stop filling eve when I pull the float arm right up. I have replaced the inlet valve diaphragm in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi. I need a new toilet supply line but don’t know the size type of the fitting at the shut off valve. It is not 3/8 compression. It is a plastic nut about the same size as the one going into the cistern but has a different thread. Attached is a photo. Can you advise. Thanks.
Replies
Views
Hi all Noticed bad smell in my drain out side put my hand down and it unclogged it for now however I checked my sewer drain and after flushing my toilet a good few times nothing is going to the sewer so don't know is there a blockage or what way it works many thanks and advice would be grateful
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up to 1.3. I've had an engineer look inside the boiler and he can't see anything wrong. I've checked the pipes all over the house and cannot see any...
Replies
Views
P
I have a plumber coming tomorrow to change a cartridge on a badly dripping tap on my bathroom mixer unit. There is no separate isolating valve for this tap so I'll have to close the stopcock. I tried closing it today but it won't go absolutely 100% closed and there is still a very slight flow...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock