Search the forum,

Discuss Multi fuel stove heating problems in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

DanRM

Hi, I have moved into a new flat last year where the water and heating is powered by a Herald Hunter 14 multi fuel stove and an immersion heater for summer months. I am having problems with the heating side of things and I'm hoping to get some advice on what needs to be done as my landlord is very reluctant in paying someone to come and check the system over.

The immersion heater is fine when using the electrical side of things, but once I turn it off and fire up the stove, I have to run the central heating pump until the fire burns out, otherwise the back boiler begins to hiss like a kettle until I lose my nerve and the pump is switched back on manually. I assume that the pump should not have to be running all the time as on the wall I have a time switch and room thermostat.

My main problem with this is that with having the C/H pump running throughout the burn time the radiators are hot all the time, but the tap water is only just warm and the fire itself is burning quite cold compared to other burners I've used due to the constant flow of water flowing through the back.

Last night I brought home an infrared thermometer from work and pointed it to the back boiler when the pump is switched off and the hissing came in about 60 degrees and I switched the pump back on manually to circulate the radiators once it reached 68 degrees as the noise was a little worrying by this point.

I have tried to draw a diagram of the system layout from what I can see is to do with this one, as my flat is the top floor of a manor house so some pipe work may be to do with the main house. But I am unable to post a link to this at the moment

I have a radiator to the left of the stove which is linked into the hot water cylinder which is a large heat sink rad, this flows through the top and returns from the bottom and never gets warm more than about half way down, the return pipe back to the stove is cold. Then I have another radiator in a room behind the stove which is branched off the main pipes after flowing through the CH pump.

There are a total of 8 radiators which are all hot to touch once the fire is burning well

I hope this makes sense to someone on here and that I could get some info on what I need to have done to sort the system out so I can tell my landlord. As all he says at the moment is bleed the radiators its probably an airlock

Cheers

Dan

The rads are hot therefore there's no air in them. Try turning the rads off while the system is cold and the pump is running. Then fire it up as usual, again with the rads off but keep an eye on your temperature. Open the rads if you get twitchy.

You've a typical landlord afraid to spend money where he has to.

Ask the landlord to get a properly qualified Hetas engineer in.
It sounds like it needs a good look over in terms of set up and controls, call it a safety inspection.... That way if he refuses and something goes wrong / causes damage, you are holding all the cards.

Plus he should be required to make sure that your heating / hot water services are working properly anyeay. Would he leave it if it were a faulty gas boiler??

over heating due to, to much fuel? or maybe poorly installed gravity side?

Are you giving it enough time for the gravity circulation to pick up? You may find the pump will prevent the hot water side from working, try leaving it for a bit longer, 68 isn't much really.

once the gravity circulation starts to pick up you should get a hot radiator and the cylinder will start pulling heat out as well so your temperature should stabilise.

No pipe stat on the cylinder return to kick in heating pump?

I second the idea of no pipe stat on cylinder return pipe proper position, or none at all fitted, or perhaps a stat is fitted but turned far too high?
Probably no injector tee fitted which would be against MIs for some stoves.

Probably just an all round poor install, would love to see the heat leak :)

The biggest problem with modern day heating; is the pump will overcome all problems. On solid fuel wined it back years, to gravity design system gradual fall's to and from the appliance, works without circulator.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Multi fuel stove heating problems in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold then would get hot water most of the time. Changing the flow cartridge about 2 years ago (when I moved in) solved this problem enough to suffer it as...
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up to 1.3. I've had an engineer look inside the boiler and he can't see anything wrong. I've checked the pipes all over the house and cannot see any...
Replies
Views
PSxxxxxx
P
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock