Discuss Motorised gas valve for cooking gas bottle? in the Gas Engineers Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

There are plenty of gas interlocking systems on the market I used to fit them in school laboratories and kitchens , with technology in solar power and battery storage I would think one of these systems could be adapted to be used in even the most remote of locations ?

I think your criteria are too restrictive.
A latching solenoid is what you need but don't know if you'd find one to work on 3.6v - it's just not enough power. Then you'd need to control it and anything electrical would likely want 5v.
The only thing I can conceive would be to use a control valve with flame supervision (thermocouple) and use the battery circuit to energise the coil.
Insert coin and manually set valve, when timer ends valve drops?...
Search -

Gas Control Valve Tap with Flame Supervision Device​

Thanks,
Also, a gas cooker needs (and permits) a spark to be used to light it.
As such, how can it possibly ever pass ATEX approval? (Atmospheres explosive regulations)
Do you agree, ATEX approval and gas fires can never happen?

Thanks, im baffled why the customer has said they need ATEX approval. I think its because the flame could go out, the room could then get filled with gas, then the flame or spark happens, and then boom....but does that situation call for ATEX approval?

I would give up on having a bottle mounted solution and rather offer an inline solution to be mounted outside enclosure.
Thankyou very much, that sounds good, though our customers may rip the tube off the cylinder and then put their own tube on the cylinder and steel the gas without paying.
Though your idea does sound very good.....we still need the motorized valve or latching solonoid which draws no power once it has been actuated. And this must be battery operated.
In your opinion, would you say we are looking at a custom valve etc?.....it all seems very expensive?

This is like what we seek...

....but we dont want mobile phone control...just tokens inserted for 10mins of gas....and we need it battery powered, and with the "no power drain once valve actuated").

Thankyou very much, that sounds good, though our customers may rip the tube off the cylinder and then put their own tube on the cylinder and steel the gas without paying.
Also, they could even supply their own tube and regulator and bypass any fitting you come up with. In which case, then find a device that uses the small cylinders that cost a couple of pounds each and if they go through a whole can in a short amount of time, questions can be asked. But, realistically, a customer that supplies their own tube to save money on gas is likely to be a rare event, and I don't see how you can really avoid that.

From a liability point of view, I expect it's a bit like expecting a landlord to have a plan for when a tenant removes the gas hose from the gas cooker and just uses the open hose to toast his sandwiches. I grant that you are dealing with minors here, but I think what it's going to come down to is either they are considered mature enough to be safe to use the appliance (and someone takes ultimate responsibilty for them) or I suspect they would need to be supervised at all times.

Reply to Motorised gas valve for cooking gas bottle? in the Gas Engineers Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the...
Replies
Views
I have had a look at previous posts and think I know the answer to this but just before I make it worse could I just check what you think about...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock