Discuss Mornin all, another newbi in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Samo

I'm not great at thease forums but i'll give it ago.

I'm 38, Married, two huge drains on income, +morguage, (so like alot of people).

I have been thinking of a careere change and becoming a plumber for about the last 5 years,(but going self employed i found a bit daunting), however, having been made redundant at christmas after 17 years in the last job has mad me decide nows the time.

I'm currently about 2/3rds of the way through C&G 6129 and going on to NVQ Level2, and then to Level 3 hopefully with the Train 4 Trade skills, but the redundency money will only last a few months, how do you get a start in the trade ? Is it a case of go around the local plumbers and ask if they want a mate/apprentice, (are all you experienced plumbers approachable like that). I do want to do what is right (ie i want to make it work, and up and above board), but i do want to start working again,(the last few months studying hard) but i learn better on the job, (books never replace practical experience) .

Any advice, tips would be greatfully received, I have read some of the posts on hear (other people in simelar situations) and the talk about the C&G 6129 got me a bit worried as to wether i'm going the right way?. But the general encouragement thats being given is great (and the reason I joined).

Anyhow I feel like I'm rambling now so I'll say thanks and cheers, Sam.

Welcome to Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice | Plumbers Forums | A forum for plumbers advice in the UK!

Hi Samo and welcome to UKPlumbersForums.co.uk!

6129 is the theory which you will need as a starting block whatever you do but you need lots of practical experience as well, and the Level 2, before you can be a "proper" plumber.

Cheers WHPES, Being a "proper" plumber is what I want to get to, but i'm just fed up not getting any practical experience at the mo, and could do with earning a bit of money(the misses wage aint gonna pay the bills) . Ta anyway,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Mornin all, another newbi in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Another newbie in the forums. I’m a 33 year old and after having worked in the Graphic/Web Design industry for around 8 years, I worked a few...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone I'm about to progress from Level 2 C&G to Level 3 (starting in September): I'd always thought i would do the Level 3 Gas, as this was...
Replies
Views
Over the summer I completed a level 2 diploma in plumbing (City and Guilds 6035) with Able Skills and am now looking to complete the NVQ level 2...
Replies
Views
Good afternoon, before I start I appreciate I may be on a hiding to nothing here but here goes. I spent time working as a tradesman with my Dad...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone I really hope you can help me. I'm 26 now and live in London, I've been doing a bit of career hopping since leaving school at 16 in...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock