Search the forum,

Discuss mixer taps and airlocks in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jennie

Gas Engineer
Hi all,

I'm a student plumber. On my work experience, we came across an air lock in a bungalow. The plumber got rid of it by forcing mains water up the hot pipe (which had the airlock).

This was done via a mixer tap, which had mains cold but tank-fed hot.

My question is, could this be done on twin-flow mixers, as well as single-flow mixers?

Also another q... when installing mixers, am I right in thinking that only twin-flows are put in kitchens, for hygiene reasons? Aside from that, are there any other preferences of location for one over the other?

Thanks for your advice,

Jennie

doing that trick is easier i find using two taps like a basin or such with a bit of hosepie.

Twin flows delivers water through spout as 2 flows and water mixes at outlet of tap preventing cross flow of water (re water regs) single flows mix water in tap body before going through spout into sink these should be fitted with check valves to prevent possible cross flow of water. So no it can't be done with twin flows.

Last edited by a moderator:
Twin flows delivers water through spout as 2 flows and water mixes at outlet of tap preventing cross flow of water (re water regs) single flows mix water in tap body before going through spout into sink these should be fitted with check valves to prevent possible cross flow of water. So no it can't be done with twin flows.
How would you be able to get rid of air locks in this situation?...thank you

Washing machine hose. Take it off the washer and screw that end on to the hot washmac valve and turn both valves to open position

....or another way is to remove the neck of the kitchen mixer. Usually a grub screw holds the neck in.
Then just put your palm of your hand firmly down on the centre of the mixer, turn the hot tap on & then turn the mains cold tap on for a few seconds. Always works. The mixer neck would have divided the hot & cold, but at the body it will mix when the neck is off.
Use silicone grease on the neck O rings & replace.

Last edited:
....or another way is to remove the neck of the kitchen mixer. Usually a grub screw holds the neck in.
Then just put your palm of your hand firmly down on the centre of the mixer, turn the hot tap on & then turn the mains cold tap on for a few seconds. Always works. The mixer neck would have divided the hot & cold, but at the body it will mix when the neck is off.
Use silicone grease on the neck O rings & replace.

Really? New one on me that. I would have assumed that the body on a bi-flow tap would also keep the water separate

Really? New one on me that. I would have assumed that the body on a bi-flow tap would also keep the water separate

The water on say, a modern kitchen deck mixer that will have a "pipe in pipe" neck, will come in each side of the neck, but to a different part of the neck & without mixing. Remove the neck & you just have an empty chamber, sort of.
As you know, the necks will have two different entry points - one for hot & one for cold.

I think most mixer necks will have a hole in the bottom of them for one of the water supplies - probably the centre flow which will be the left tap (hot) & slots in the side of the neck for the other water supply - I assume the cold to the outer exit of the neck.
O rings prevent the water mixing.
Think I am right, but I am now going to have to examine next mixer I look at! Lol!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to mixer taps and airlocks in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock