Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss microbore! big enough boiler? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

saraf

hi, for the past 6 years i have had problems with my gas central heating system, not heating the house well enough. it has microbore pipework (hate it!!) and we live in a very hard water area. the system is 16 years old and the boiler is an ideal ff250 and the house is approx 1570 sq feet. we have used fernox and got it 'warm' over the past 4 years but still it is really hit or miss whether the radiators get warm. is the boiler big enough for the size of property? would it help to replace some radiators? or is this it? i cant afford to replace the whole system and it would mean digging up ceramic floors if i did this. please help, i cant face another cold winter!!! thanks so much sara

The boiler should be big enough to cope with the size of your property.

It may be worth replacing or even upsizing your pump to overcome the restrictions of microbore pipe sizing.

Does the boiler make any strange noises when its operating?
Does the boiler cycle on and off a lot when it is running?

As above, boiler adequate for heating and worth keeping until repairs become uneconomic.
Micro bore makes flushing in place difficult. Drain system, remove and flush existing rads individually, check pump not clogged, make sure TVRs are working. Xmas should be warm and happy.

Depends if boiler is giving out the correct amount of heat, when was the last time it was checked , when you say Fernox do you mean inhibitor ? better to use F5 heavy duty cleaner , may need to remove radiators and flush them first, then add cleaner run system hot for a week flush then refill & add inhibitor

I'd say the boiler was big enough. You don't say what sort of pump you have. If it is 3-speed maybe give it a try on max speed.

The boiler should be big enough to cope with the size of your property.

It may be worth replacing or even upsizing your pump to overcome the restrictions of microbore pipe sizing.

Does the boiler make any strange noises when its operating?
Does the boiler cycle on and off a lot when it is running?

I'd say the boiler was big enough. You don't say what sort of pump you have. If it is 3-speed maybe give it a try on max speed.

more often than not that will cause the pump to pump over (replacing the pump for bigger one)

if you can op best to replace the pipework bit by bit if you can

Defo replace rads with doubles where they are singles, possibly replace pump as it's the heart of your system. Get an engineer out to see if system is firing properly... the cost of upgrading your system will pay for itself in time . Defo worth looking into. Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to microbore! big enough boiler? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer...
Replies
Views
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up...
Replies
Views
PSxxxxxx
P
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock