Discuss MCS Accreditation in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
You may not Simon , but then you may not want MCS.
The subcontractor route is one way to go , but then the costs start going up , the contractors price high to cover the cost of the Tax you are deducting , your time doing paperwork goes up (CIS deductions )

Please explain?

My response was to the first paragraph and a customer complaint about what was included in a quote. I can do that without a QMS, I would hope with the anticipated cost and effort to attain MCS it's going to give me more than I can do at the moment without one!

Be interested if you could expand on the sub-contractor route.

Cheers,

Simon.

Hi All,

I am sorry to sound like teachers pet but I cant help but think some of the meaning behind the QMS is being missed in this thread. I was of the same opinion as most in this thread when i first started looking at the QMS requirements but i soon and thank fully understood the requirement when i had my first customer complaint who tried to tell me i had said i would do somthing on the job that i had never quoted nor priced for. I had followed the procedures within my QMS to the letter and could pull out my Quotation and order confirmation along with the T&C's set out in my contract of sale leaving the customer without a leg to stand on and preventing them from holding money back on the job i had completed. I have also started to use sub contractors following the procedures outlined by MCS and i have now a record of the contractors qualifications and when they need to be reviewed to ensure they maintain compliant.

I hold a quaterly meeting (internal review) with my business partner where we get the chance to address any issues and record them to ensure they are rectified resulting in my business operating in a professional and correct manner which my customer deserve with when hadning over the money that these systems cost.

I have to say i am a big fan of my QMS and i think this will stop the "quote on the back of a *** packet " installers from entering the renewable sector, which i am extremely in favor of!

Each to their own, I'm in favour of a quality management system too, I just don't agree that the particular quality management system is designed for the industry as a whole. The one-man-band installers (incidentally not all of us estimate on the back of *** packets) would be considerably more out of pocket in adapting these systems unlike the big guns in the industry who already have these departments in place. It seems like it is more a case of those who already have these systems "ringfencing" the market for their own use. One way is to make the MCS less affordable for the little guy, lets face it if it was too easy we would all be doing it, demand would increase and prices would drop. This would possibly spur on the economy and might even make some headway in achieving the CO2 targets that have been set. Wow, What a crazy idea for a Friday eh?

I have heard very recently that there is a proposal to raise the 'amount per install' for an MCS installation from £5 to around £15, what would people's view be on this?

Would it make much difference in the greater scheme of things or would it be seen as another barrier to becoming registered and fitting these technologies?
Sorry, I meant to reply earlier - you are right, it is £15 now.

I'm don't think that it will be a significant extra barrier - the whole QMS part of MCS is the barrier...

Simon you will need a QMS with a customer complaints procedure and a paper trail from it.
The Subcontractor route : when you pay a subcontractor there is a bit of paperwork to do and you deduct tax on behlf of the revenue and you then pay the revenue on your subcontractors behalf (unless your subcontractor has managed to agree with the revenue payment gross) At worst you will be deducting 30% from their labour as Tax. Subbies know this and put their prices up . You will need to be VAT registered so that you can charge at 5% . You will be better off employing VAT registered subbies as well , for similar reasons

Well third time lucky, deleted my first two posts before I posted them, beer and politics just don't mix.

Firstly, Electrofy, if you could just clarify are you a plumber/heating engineer? If not what do you do, if you don't mind sharing?

Secondly, could you expand on 'administration'. Mine at the moment consists of estimating, invoicing and bookkeeping, all of which I do by myself as a sole trader.

Thirdly, used many a QMS, dating back to my apprentice days right through to my 'time out' period when I was working for a pharmeceutical company which was quality assured to death. Couldn't take a dump without following procedure. All well and good for injectables, batch traceability and trying your damnedest not to kill people. But taking a product like solar thermal, installing it correctly having been trained and assessed to do so using qms is complete overkill.

Fourthly, setting aside the part that I could go out and 'buy' a qms and 'adopt' as you state (something that has previously been stated by easy mcs, site sponsor, is not the way to do it), is that really something I would want to do when we are still awaiting just what the RHI will do for the domestic market come 2012.

To summarise, it appears, or as you say it works for you, good. The general concensus is that it will drive unnecessary cost towards the 'one man band brigade' and ultimately onto the customer. As the system currently stands I cannot see it working for me, doesn't mean I won't install renewables though, just that I'll do it whatever way I can to avoid MCS involvement and the costs involved with it.

Rant over.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to MCS Accreditation in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello I am looking to install a slimline dishwasher (integrated) into a cupboard in my kitchen. The depth of the dishwasher is 550mm and the...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock