Search the forum,

Discuss Maybe I'm just not a people person but... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

WaterTight

Esteemed
Plumber
Subscribed
By far my least favourite part of the job is customers.

Hell is other people.

When I find out I'm to be left alone in their house to work I'm overjoyed. When instead it becomes apparent they wish to rest their chin on my shoulder as I work, I'm less pleased.

When my phone rings it is always an annoyance, never comes at a convenient time and I'm recently getting particularly annoyed with how most people seem to think you're happy to listen to their lifestory before finding out why they called you.

What's the money like manning a lighthouse?

Ive always told people i love my job but to really like your job it has to be all aspects, i know a sparky and he works in a burger van and the reason why he does this is because he hates workin in peoples houses, i dont get him as moneys always an issue but hes quite a people person, but i suppose at the end of the day if its really bothering you maybe the lighthouse is the one,,,,

Don't wash and leave phone in van. Both problems sold. Only answer v\m

In general I find people are idiots. I can deal with certain people that can hold a conversation of substance but the general theme that seems to run is 40 year olds with about as much lingual talent as my 2 year old.... What's that? Why? What you doing?

And it's not just work even in day today life people are just plain stupid. I can safely say I really do detest people I am one of those that was designed to live in solitude. Even the mrs agrees but she sticks around for the minute....

In my darker moments I long for some sort of business that can be run without customers, suppliers, staff, stock, buildings, computers or vehicles. Those 7 things seem to cause most of the stress.

If the customer wants to watch over my shoulder I warn them that they run the risk of injury if they get in the way. I have sprayed customers with water from taps and once pretended to trip on the carpet and tipped a half bucket of dirty water over one particularly obnoxious guy.

I also never answer the phone, only use voicemail.

The more customers I meet, the more I love my two Border Collies (I get more sense from the Collies)

Nothing worse than being watched while you work... makes me feel abused :(
Most folk are fine though, offer a cuppa and then go sit down, i then explain whats happening when I'm finished :)

Its the old 80 20 rule. 80% are no hassle, the other 20% cause the issues. The trick is to spot the 20% and adjust pricing accordingly. Happy money makes me a very personable attitude.

most of my customers leave me well alone, the rest never ask me back again, I just dont understand what part of feck off they dont like :)

I am opposite to you all :
I enjoy listening to there stories
I enjoy been watched and I get them to do things while I am working
its part of the job and I even prefer when there is some one in the house as I don't like been on my own

I want to hear the problem from the customer face to face then I would rather they and their dog disappeared and let me get on with the job then when I`m done I`m happy to sit down with them and have a cuppa and answer their Q`s but I want them in the house at all times then I can`t be accused of taking or breaking anything. May be I`m just paranoid?

I hate it when they ask me questions because I really know fark all about plumbing, and then I start to talk really fast and talk absolute jibberish

I like to bore them with my life story, rambling on for hours about politics and moaning about my wife.
I haven't got time for anything they say, not interested.

I used to like it when working for the gas board and an irritating customer was on your case the whole time I'd just say as I was leaving 'Can you smell gas? Ah it's probably nothing. Good bye' that learnt a few of em. Generally Jeremy Karl subscribers with nothing to do all day.

I used to touch the radiators like I was checking to see if they were hot, before I'd put the boiler in.
Theyd say something like "this ones not getting hot"

I used to touch the radiators like I was checking to see if they were hot, before I'd put the boiler in.
Theyd say something like "this ones not getting hot"
you old tease Leo.......lol regards Turnpin:hand:

cracking job if it was not for the custards ,then again if it was not for the custards we would have no job ,but some people can really boil your pi55,easy way to deal with these as previously said price accordingly or walk away

A lot of my customers are elderly & in general leave me to get on with the job, after making a cuppa obviously :)
The older gents are often ex. tradesmen & love to talk about their work which I find very interesting. Several of the older folk are often grateful for me to do even to most trivial of jobs & then sit down for a cuppa, cake & a good yap. I'm sure the real reason is to have someone to talk to which is really sad.
I find the worst ones are often the younger ones, office workers in the main, who appear to regard tradesmen as something they have trod in.

A lot of my customers are elderly & in general leave me to get on with the job, after making a cuppa obviously :)
The older gents are often ex. tradesmen & love to talk about their work which I find very interesting. Several of the older folk are often grateful for me to do even to most trivial of jobs & then sit down for a cuppa, cake & a good yap. I'm sure the real reason is to have someone to talk to which is really sad.
I find the worst ones are often the younger ones, office workers in the main, who appear to regard tradesmen as something they have trod in.

The younger ones are carp to work for, there little faces when you refuse to budge on your quote. Priceless.
Youngsters, I hate em.

I worked with a bloke who reckoned in his youth he brought a pack of lady knickers and if he hated a custard he'd put a pair under the blokes side of the bed....GENIUS. (i do say reckoned cos he was a Walter Mitty character). Genius anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:

Me too , the pensioners love tea n scones and they get offended if u dont fill your face, they are brilliant for word of mouth aswell as some of them have a better social life than me, there bowls and bingos

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Maybe I'm just not a people person but... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Non-professional / knowledgeable person here. I'm a Brit in Romania who volunteers for a charity building an old peoples home for needy old people. Out here competence and integrity is harder to come by in a worker, in fact it's hard to find workers at all where we are in the countryside...
Replies
Views
Hi, Short version: I have about 4" of pipe sticking out of a concrete floor in a cupboard. It makes a 45-degree bend as it exists (bent, not with elbows), the last cm before the open end is pretty much straight, but as a result of the bend it is not perfectly round. I mean it is pretty much...
Replies
Views
So I bought my first flat recently (am in UK) and in a bit of a pickle as the bathroom has turned up lots of problems that weren't picked up by the survey. I have had loads of plumbers over, and have always carefully checked their reviews/tried to vet them as much as possible. However, I've had...
Replies
Views
Hoping somebody can help, So, in a nutshell… Standard 90s Westbury home – condensing boiler, pump, wall thermostat, etc etc... Normal, common or garden, run-of-the-mill British housing estate CH setup. Downstairs radiator, 1 of 2 in our living room, went cold one evening mid-November last...
Replies
Views
Hi, Solar thermal not so big these days but a couple of Q for anyone who still works in it. Background. I'm an Electrician not a plumber.. I've been maintaining my otherwise excellent solar thermal (Original install MCS by Others), for the last ~ 18 years, over which time I've needed to clean...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock