Search the forum,

Discuss Manually filled F/E tank in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Ruski

Hi all

I'm probably being over-cautious here, but before I delve in I'd better ask....

My father in law has an open vented CH system but much to my suprise the F/E tank in the loft (suspended on two pieces of sagging 22mm copper across two ceiling joists!!) has to be topped up manually and there's no overflow fitted.

Now I dont particularly want him climbing up his rickety old set of wooden step ladders to check the level of the tank and to top up as necessary (he does this on a monthly basis) as he's now approaching his 80's.

What I'd like to do is to move the FE tank nearer the airing cupboard (i.e. above it in the loft) and pop it on a proper platform, supply a cold feed to it and fit a ballcock and an overflow.

Is this the right thing to do.. hoping it is and you'll all say "Yup - Go for it kidda"

Thanks in advance

Russ

i will say get a local heating engineer to deal with it and you can make the platform for the f and e

The problem is height. The F and E tank is placed at the highest point in the system to give a reasonable head of water over the highest point in the system. Why you must ask yourself was it put in the loft in the first place? And why is it a manual fill system like an old Servowarm system?

Thanks Bernie - that's exactly what it was - Servowarm.

A few years back they had the boiler changed and this tank put in the loft - before that I believe it was a small decorative urn/tank thing in the box room.

Does it make a difference that it used to be a servowarm system? Is it worth raising the FE tank then?? More than capable of doing the work - just would like a bit of reassurance that I'm planning the right things...

Many thanks

Russ

Hi Russ ... I remember the old servowarm bottle fill tanks from years ago .......:) You ask a question that I'd love to give you the nod for but would, in all honesty, like you to consider ..... Consider the principles of fully pumped open heating systems and what does your head say? given what you have facing you anyhoo's? :D

What do you think?

Blimey - errrr... can you re-phrase the question Diamond??

I don't think I'm changing the way the fully pumped system is working - just making it a bit more convenient (and safer) for my FIL...

Stick a bit plywood under it, fit a ballcock and overflow and leave it where it is.

So from what you have to what you want ........... what's your worries?

The top up bottles were just that ......... making it no loger manual will not make a difference will it yeh? What may be your concerns?

Last edited by a moderator:
Cheers Tamz & Diamond for the advice.

Just trying to make thing safer for father in law. Want to move tank closer to cold feed - that's only reason for moving it.

Will go ahead and then call out servowarm if it goes elbow up!!

Cheers again

Russ

Ruski .......... It can't be any worse :)

Seriously though any worries post a diagram up her of proposals ..... sure we'll help you out if your not sure :)

The old Servowarm where a law onto themselves and often installed systems unlike any others. They also used weird but simple boilers. I think they were one of the first companies into the field of mass central heating and designed their systems on the old principles of gravity circulation, the pump acting more as a multiplier of the circulating forces already in the design. In other words even without a pump the systems would work but slowly. They came up with some very original designs and I have scratched my head many a time when meeting one. They are interesting from a Technical Plumbing/central heating point of view, but a bit of a pain to repair.

Usually though they are pretty straight forward, although perhaps unusual. But I would check that bringing the F and E out of the loft doesn't effect it to much. The advice from Tamz is probably the best to minimise any problems.

I have got to admit that i have never seen a manually filled header tank

The old Servowarm where a law onto themselves and often installed systems unlike any others. They also used weird but simple boilers. I think they were one of the first companies into the field of mass central heating and designed their systems on the old principles of gravity circulation, the pump acting more as a multiplier of the circulating forces already in the design. In other words even without a pump the systems would work but slowly. They came up with some very original designs and I have scratched my head many a time when meeting one. They are interesting from a Technical Plumbing/central heating point of view, but a bit of a pain to repair.

Usually though they are pretty straight forward, although perhaps unusual. But I would check that bringing the F and E out of the loft doesn't effect it to much. The advice from Tamz is probably the best to minimise any problems.

Thanks Bernie - nice to have a bit of background. Good job it's now been 'converted' to a regualr pumped system now ;)

The ones I remember coming across were just like up turned plastic bottles fitted in the airing cupboards .... I can't recollect an openvent?

This particular installation had a sort of triangular shaped grecian urn in the small bedroom which FIL religiously kept topped up! (And yes - no openvent)

As part of the 'conversion' this bit was decommissioned and the FE tank installed in the loft.

This has now raised another question - why is there no breather pipe needed - I'm presuming the level in the tank just raises and lowers when the heating fires up??

Anyway - went there today to find some roofing underfelt in the bottom of the tank - time for a drain, clean up and reposition me thinks!

Cheers

Russ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Manually filled F/E tank in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock