Search the forum,

Discuss Making Nest thermostat work with Uponor C5 UFH in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi everyone,
I just installed Google Nest Thermostat 3 Gen, made for Europe together with Uponor C35 underfloor heating system (my version of the Nest comes with a heat link, which is a separate device installed near my underfloor control system. The thermostat talks to Heat Link via wireless or wire (in my case it's a wired connection, which gives power to the thermostat as well)).

A small explanation is needed: I have 3 floor zones to heat with the underfloor heating system. I replaced a thermostat of one of the zones by the Nest thermo, the rest 2 zones are still controlled by the native Uponor thermostats. The source of heating liquid is central district heating station, so in house, we just control the valves that let the heating liquid flow into zones

I wired the Heatlink in place of a regular thermostat. So, from the point of view of my underfloor heating system (which is Uponor C35) - the Heat Link is placed instead of its regular thermostat.

I connected the wires to the 1 and 2 connectors on the Heat Link ("Low voltage/dry contact combi boiler" setup as it says in the documentation). The reason that it was not 2 and 3 connector was that my Uponor C35 considered closed circuit to be "regular state" and open circuit to be "call for heat" state.

Everything seems to work fine for one exception: I see that my heating is sometimes ON, while it should be OFF.

For example, the current temperature in the room is 23 Celcius and the Thermostat is to set to heat up to 18 Celcius (which means it should NOT heat at all). And it works like that, but from time to time (say, 2-3 times a day) I notice that the floors are hot! and I see that the valves (that open the heating) are opened.

I can't figure out why it happens. It is either Nest thermostat for some reason gives the command to heat (when it shouldn't) OR it's some strange logic inside my Uponor C35 control system, which heats the floors even when Nest doesn't request it to do so. But such a situation doesn't happen on the zones with native Uponor thermostats.

Perhaps, Uponor control unit has a certain identification protocol of its native thermostats and it "feels" that not a native device is connected to the input.

Any ideas?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-05-19 at 14.03.59.png
    Screenshot 2021-05-19 at 14.03.59.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 35
Need to find out if the best is opening the circuit so easy way to do this is to test 1-2 on a multi meter

A small update. It appeared that the Nest relay works correctly. I hear the click when it turns states and multimeter confirms that.
But I noticed that after the Nest relay changes state, the Uponor relay (which is supposed to switch the valve ON/OFF) doesn't click.
I assumed that the Uponor control unit doesn't recognize Nest as a thermostat. So, I installed original Uponor thermo in parallel to Nest.
So far it seems to work. I will update the final observations to help those who might be looking into similar issues.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-05-19 at 21.24.18.png
    Screenshot 2021-05-19 at 21.24.18.png
    4.2 MB · Views: 18
  • Screenshot 2021-05-19 at 21.24.25.png
    Screenshot 2021-05-19 at 21.24.25.png
    4.1 MB · Views: 19
The reason that it was not 2 and 3 connector was that my Uponor C35 considered closed circuit to be "regular state" and open circuit to be "call for heat" state.
Are you absolutely sure "call for heat" is open contacts? Could you verify this on your added Uponor thermostat (with disconnected contacts) using your multimeter (ohms) to confirm?
The reason I ask is there is a bit in the manual about contacts closed for heat and open for cooling, but this relates to combined heating and cooling systems, to switch from heating to cooling, not thermostat connections. I couldn't see any specific reference to Uponor thermostats being 'reverse logic' to normal!

I may be wrong with the above, but I can't immediately see any other explanation for the symptoms.

Are you absolutely sure "call for heat" is open contacts? Could you verify this on your added Uponor thermostat (with disconnected contacts) using your multimeter (ohms) to confirm?
The reason I ask is there is a bit in the manual about contacts closed for heat and open for cooling, but this relates to combined heating and cooling systems, to switch from heating to cooling, not thermostat connections. I couldn't see any specific reference to Uponor thermostats being 'reverse logic' to normal!

I may be wrong with the above, but I can't immediately see any other explanation for the symptoms.
When the original thermostat is connected to the control unit (without Nest), the behavior is the following:
  • if the temperature wheel is rotated fully clockwise (which means "call for heat" state), a led indicator is ON on the thermostat and the control unit gives 24 volts to the valves (checked with multimeter)
  • I short-circuit the only two wires that connect the control unit and the thermostat - and led light goes OFF and the current on the valves goes to zero.
This makes me think it's "call for heat" when the two wires connecting the thermostat with the control unit are open, and it's "not heating" when they are closed.

So, finally I connected Nest in parallel to the original thermostat and put the original thermostat wheel to constant "call for heat" state (wheel turned fully closewise). This means that the whole circuit is open when both the devices (Nest and the original one) are in open state (call for heat in both of them). And it is closed (no heating) when at least one of them closes the circuit (Nest which in my case).

My control system (Uponor C35) is only an underfloor heating system, it is not intended for cooling, as far as I understand.

Anyway, having done the setup above, I am still observing if it behaves as intended.

When the original thermostat is connected to the control unit (without Nest), the behavior is the following:
  • if the temperature wheel is rotated fully clockwise (which means "call for heat" state), a led indicator is ON on the thermostat and the control unit gives 24 volts to the valves (checked with multimeter)
  • I short-circuit the only two wires that connect the control unit and the thermostat - and led light goes OFF and the current on the valves goes to zero.
This makes me think it's "call for heat" when the two wires connecting the thermostat with the control unit are open, and it's "not heating" when they are closed.

So, finally I connected Nest in parallel to the original thermostat and put the original thermostat wheel to constant "call for heat" state (wheel turned fully closewise). This means that the whole circuit is open when both the devices (Nest and the original one) are in open state (call for heat in both of them). And it is closed (no heating) when at least one of them closes the circuit (Nest which in my case).

My control system (Uponor C35) is only an underfloor heating system, it is not intended for cooling, as far as I understand.

Anyway, having done the setup above, I am still observing if it behaves as intended.
Thank you for replying, and by your checks you have confirmed that 'call for heat' is open contacts, and 'not heating' is closed contacts.
So your original assertion is correct, and my theory was wrong!

It will be interesting to hear what you observe. It is certainly strange to have those random 'call for heat' events you describe. I can't see what would trigger a random opening of the Heatlink relay circuit, unless there is a loose connection somewhere!

I have exactly the same problem. I was trying to replace my Uponor T38 thermostat/timer attached to my C5 with a Drayton Wiser room thermostat attached to their HubR controller. This provides a 240V call for heat signal with which I hoped to control the C35. Initially I tried to connect the two using a relay connecting the 240V to one side and the two contacts on the C35 that my T38 had been connected to on the other. In other to either provide an open circuit or closed circuit but this displayed the erratic behaviour described at the start of this thread. I did a brief investigation to try and determine the impedance of the T38 in both its ‘call’ and ‘off’ states which was about 4k ohms for ‘call’ and 2k ohms for ‘off’. So I have now wired a couple of resistors across the relay so that it switches between these two loads and hey-presto the C35 works as expected. 🙂

I have exactly the same problem. I was trying to replace my Uponor T38 thermostat/timer attached to my C5 with a Drayton Wiser room thermostat attached to their HubR controller. This provides a 240V call for heat signal with which I hoped to control the C35. Initially I tried to connect the two using a relay connecting the 240V to one side and the two contacts on the C35 that my T38 had been connected to on the other. In other to either provide an open circuit or closed circuit but this displayed the erratic behaviour described at the start of this thread. I did a brief investigation to try and determine the impedance of the T38 in both its ‘call’ and ‘off’ states which was about 4k ohms for ‘call’ and 2k ohms for ‘off’. So I have now wired a couple of resistors across the relay so that it switches between these two loads and hey-presto the C35 works as expected. 🙂
Sorry. Just realised I got that the wrong way round! 4k = off, 2k = call

Reply to Making Nest thermostat work with Uponor C5 UFH in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold then would get hot water most of the time. Changing the flow cartridge about 2 years ago (when I moved in) solved this problem enough to suffer it as...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the man-door to the boiler room. It's intent is to 'halt' the operation of the boilers in the room should there be an emergency. He is demanding that I do...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock