Discuss LPG or oil? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

secret squirrel

Recently I've had a look at a few properties that are a bit in the sticks, some have oil boilers and some lpg. Usual thing the boilers haven't been looked at in an age.

My question is very simple.

What are the pro's and con's of oil and LPG?

What would you have?

Can anyone tell me the cost of running one, I know that this is difficult, perhaps which fuel is cheaper to buy oil or LPG?

What is more reliable?

Thankyou all.

(see I can do it, a serious question with no jokes at all)

At min it seems there about the same price
But LPG is orally more expensive and unless it's a LPG bulk tank don't use bottled will cost you a fortune
I'd go with oil myself

LPG bulk as said won't get nicked. If you look up the local crime sheet for my local village. At least 60% of it is heating oil theft. Seriously its that rife.

Both are more expensive than natural gas.

A pro for oil is there is a good range of external boilers. Great as servicing them is messy, and smelly. Plus you save room.

With oil, the local fims all put their prices up when the weather turns cold, which is something to bear in mind. (They have you over a barrel) with bulk LPG you have to buy from the people who supplied the cylinder. So they have you too!!

One other option is electric boiler (if the house isn't huge). I know people will say "that will cost a fortune" but bear in mind that

a: they are 99% efficient. Think about it, no wasted warmth from flue gasses.
b: you can shop around and get better tarrifs on your electricity.
c: You won't ever run out of fuel.

If you really wanted to go the whole hog, you could have a thermal store, with an electric boiler. Heat a bulk of water over night on economy 7 and just top it up during the day.

I personally fitted an electric boiler when we moved recently as I was fed up with oil and had no where to put a bulk LPG cylinder.

Last edited:
Just re-looked at those Cowden village crime stats, and I have exagerated!! There are still four cases in the last few months, and I have had customers who have had a hole put in there tank.

it's worth looking at air source for properties in the sticks. It starts to look more economically viable when you're off the grid.

I'm an oily man myself (and have been a oil customer for yonks with most of the extended family using oil as well). Only my sister has lpg and that's because it was there when they moved in, so what's the point in changing?

Although oil can be nicked (like a car) there's something comforting about buying 6 months/a year's worth of fuel and knowing that is yours, it's all paid for and you can see at a glance how much you have left. Most people run out of oil at one stage in their life and like backing up computers, you learn by your mistake and ensure it never happens again.

We're in rented accommodation at the moment which has a pre-condensing oil boiler. While much heat goes up the flue, before it all goes out it's heating the internal section which warms the walls too. In addition, being in a cupboard with an oil hot water cylinder, there's no need for a summer airing cupboard as this lost heat does enough (including drying dog towels and stuff like that).

Given the choice I'd have mains gas but when you're out in the sticks this isn't a cheap option.

To me it comes down to the fact LPG is cheaper to install, but oil is cheaper to run, just need to get prices for both and see what appeals most (I have oil at home, but with a couple of cylinders for a LPG hob)

I don't think it's as clear cut any more. New technologies and incentives mean it's worth thinking outside the box a little bit, although much of the choice is site specific so you may be governed by the property rather than personal choice. pellet, air source, ground source (maybe not) log gasification all worth a thought, you get money towards the install and a potential income when/if they release the domestic RHI, and oil/LPG prices are only going to rise in the future.

That said, if it's one or the other out of the 2, i'd have oil.

Last edited:
A properly sized and installed air source heat pump will be cheaper to run than any oil or LPG boiler.
The choice is down to installation cost.
I have retrofitted loads of oil fueled and have had very good results. some have had no internal work and some have (due to age) but mainly all is fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to LPG or oil? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Recently had a Viessmann Vitodens combi boiler installed, quite often when the adjacent cold mixer tap is opened the boiler starts for a few...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer...
Replies
Views
We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the...
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock