Search the forum,

Discuss LPG HP Changeover in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

simonB_2010

I'm was looking for a MANUAL changeover unit for 2 propane cylinders, I need a working pressure of 1.5 or better, 2 bar.

The reason I want a manual rather than auto, is to do with the end application.
I'm firing a pottery kiln, and as such the gas requirements start very low, building up over 6-12 hours, when at the top temperatures it usually requires all the gas you can feed it.
I really want the ability to switch to a new full cyinder exactly when I need it.

However, I found that maunal c/o's only seem to be available at low pressure (37mbar).
Once you go past 37mbar, the only c/o's I can find are automatics.

So questions :
> Anyone know WHY changeovers are not available as manual at High Pressures ?
> Any suggested alternative solutions to my problem ?

Many Thanks
Simon

Liquified petroleum gas equipment is designed for 37mbars, you can't just up the pressure, it will cause lifting off on your gas jets and poor combustion. Also the vessel is only designed to give you a maximum draw off.

You can look at going for a much larger vessel to give you better draw off rate. But your kiln would require major modifications as well to get what you wish to achieve, which contrevenes the gas regs, unless the work and establishment falls outside the scope of the GSR's and into factories act.

With respect ... saying that you shouldn't use LPG for anything above 37mbar is just silly !!

I understand that some people on here may be used to a more 'domestic' working environment where 37mb is standard ... but I assure you, you can easily use LPG way above 37mbar.

I've used propane up to 2 bar before now (using a certified 0-4bar reg) ... my only problem here is with the changeover aspect.
The venturi burners I have will easily eat 2 bar.

Yes I've seen 2 bar used on LPG but only on bulk tanks don't think you can get manual changeover kits for this pressure well I never saw then even

With respect ... saying that you shouldn't use LPG for anything above 37mbar is just silly !!

I understand that some people on here may be used to a more 'domestic' working environment where 37mb is standard ... but I assure you, you can easily use LPG way above 37mbar.

I've used propane up to 2 bar before now (using a certified 0-4bar reg) ... my only problem here is with the changeover aspect.
The venturi burners I have will easily eat 2 bar.

I did'nt say you could'nt use LPG above 37mbar, you can, if the equipment is properly designed in an enviroment which falls outside the GSR's.

Any specific reason why you need HP? I don't know anything about pottery kilns.

A manual changeover is nothing more than a valve and must be rated at around 20 bar¿ to take the inlet pressure Ask the manufacturer and maybe get a LPG guy to advise. LPG is as dangerous as any other gas (moreso in fact) and mistakes can be costly in more way than 1.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to LPG HP Changeover in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock