Search the forum,

Discuss Low Boiler Pressure / Under Floor Leak (concrete floor) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

roastbeeef

Hi All,

Just joined this forum in search for some advice regarding my boiler pressure dropping constantly and an under floor leak in a 4th floor flat with concrete floors.

So I've lived in this flat now for about a month, I'm house-sitting for some friends that have gone of travelling Asia. Just as they left they warned me that the boiler pressure has gradually been dropping and 3 weeks after they left it suddenly dropped down to zero pressure and I lost all heating and hot water.

At this point I paid for a plumber to come out and re-pressurise the boiler for me (I couldn't find the release valve), he sorted me out in the short term by bleeding the rads, checking for surface leaking and showing me how to re-pressurise again if necessary.

Unfortunately it has been necessary, and frequently. I have to re-pressurise the system daily to have any hot water. At first I thought maybe it was a problem with the boiler as we couldn't find any surface leaking, but it turns out that the flat beneath me has suddenly sprung a leak in their ceiling, and in turn, the flat beneath them also has a minor leak in their ceiling too. We've traced this back through the flat I'm living in and found some minor damp directly above the leak in the flat below.

So, I had a plumber pay me a visit this morning and his recommendation was that we seal off the existing heating loop and run a new system above the surface, using the existing radiators but raising them by a couple of inches to allow for piping to run underneath.

Is there any other option?
Is there any way to find out exactly where the leak is through the concrete floor?
Is it even possible to dig up the concrete and fix it?

Thanks in advance for your advice,

It could be more than 1 leak
Once fixed you could end up with another leak.

Best option would be to repipe.
It'll get expensive if the flat owner has to pay for repairs to the 2 flats below

The best thing would be to get a professional leak detector in.
Now days that use a gas with a small amount if hydrogen in it. Very accurate for locating leaks.
They would also be able to detect if the are any more leaks.
It would be good to find out the age of the systems and if possible, the brand / type of pipe.
This would be beneficial, there may only one small leak and it could be repairable.

You might be lucky and have this repaired under insurance.

Hi roast beef,

you have come to the right place for help - this is my take
1. its not your place
2. flooding ur neighbours is not good - so cap off the underfloor stuff
3. get a few rads hung on the walls near to the boiler - pipe up and u will have
heat and hot water. Rads cost from ÂŁ20 tiny ones - ÂŁ150 big doubles -

so 3 rads a. ÂŁ200 b. pipe.ÂŁ100 labour c. ÂŁ30.00 per hour one day ÂŁ240

a nice neat temp solution from Centralheatking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Low Boiler Pressure / Under Floor Leak (concrete floor) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Some advice needed please re a 3 year old combi gas boiler. The hot water works but no heating. A gas engineer was already booked to do the annual safety check before the fault developed. He said the boiler is ok with no fault. He said there must be a leak under the floor boards causing hot...
Replies
Views
I have been facing central heating low pressure on unvented hot water RM Cylinders but can't see any leak on the PRV, expansion vessels and plasterboard celling. I have got unvented pressurized RM Cylinders hot water system with 27KW Worchester gas boiler with expansion vessels . When...
Replies
Views
losing pressure
L
  • Question
I am looking to replace an oldish boiler and hot tank with a combi boiler. The house dates from around 1968 and quite possibly the (copper) piping could be that old. I had someone round to give a quote and they said they would not recommend a combi boiler because the piping downstairs was buried...
Replies
Views
What the easiest way to find why my boiler is losing pressure. It is about 5 years old Vaillant combi boiler, we have just had 2 vertical radiator removed and refitted for decorating and now the pressure keeps dropping approx once a week. I guess a leak under the floor is possible, or trapped...
Replies
Views
  • Question
My son moved to a new build home in Cornwall last November. Yesterday evening he found a quantity of water beneath the Ideal Combi boiler and a steady water drip from the boiler. After clearing up and putting a container beneath the boiler, he went to bed. This morning the water drip had...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock