Discuss Loud clunking noise from hot water cylinder in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi,

Hope i can get some advise regarding this issue. As the title says am getting this loud clunking noise from my hot water cylinder which appears to happen when the hot water is on or hot water tap is running. It only recently started last few days. The system is a Kingspan Tribune XE unvented.

Its a new build house and only moved in August, its still under warrantly. I reported it to the house builder who got the company who installed it to come out and have a look, the guy who came didnt seem that interested in the noise and said it was a valve opening and closing,

I have recorded the noise but just in the process of editing the video as its very long to upload.

I will be going back to the house builder tomorrow to ask for someone to come out again, but just wanted to know if anyone experience this before and how it was fixed please?

Expansion vessel flat / not charged correct or loss of bubble if bubble top.
The noise is often associated with the sudden change in pressure when the hot tap is opened.
Heating causes the pressure in the system to rise well above the set pressure of the PRV on the inlet, opening a tap suddenly drops the pressure back to normal.

Thanks for the response, An engineer from the housing company came out yesterday and stated he recharged the cylinder but its still making the noise. finally uploaded the video this si a 18 minute video cut down to under 1 minute to show how often it happens

I will call them again today to come have a look again

Thanks waiting on house builder to come back to me, but if anyone has come across it before would be great to hear so I know when the plumber comes he's not just making stuff up to tell me

Sounds a bit like expanding pipework as the pipe heats up, sticking and then slipping, tight against/through a joist, board or something like that.

That's a strange on I would send that link to the cylinder manufacturer and ask them have they heard anything like that before

It's not some kind of bladderless expansion vessel being a tad stiff is it? Does such a thing exist?

If not, I don't want to be too close if I'm honest!

It's not some kind of bladderless expansion vessel being a tad stiff is it? Does such a thing exist?

If not, I don't want to be too close if I'm honest!

:D was my thought or the stainless steel expanding into a foam void

What a ridiculous way to install an expansion vessel

Anyone in and around the Bedford area with the required cert's, the house builder is useless and stating the issue I reported is not a priority

Hi,

Hope i can get some advise regarding this issue. As the title says am getting this loud clunking noise from my hot water cylinder which appears to happen when the hot water is on or hot water tap is running. It only recently started last few days. The system is a Kingspan Tribune XE unvented.

Its a new build house and only moved in August, its still under warrantly. I reported it to the house builder who got the company who installed it to come out and have a look, the guy who came didnt seem that interested in the noise and said it was a valve opening and closing,

I have recorded the noise but just in the process of editing the video as its very long to upload.

I will be going back to the house builder tomorrow to ask for someone to come out again, but just wanted to know if anyone experience this before and how it was fixed please?
Hi - I have a similar issue with Gledhill 300l unvented Hot Water Cylinder. How was this resolved?

Last edited:
Hi,

Did you find out what this issue was? I have the same thing and the installers washed their hands of it but it's getting louder. Thanks.

Sounds like expansion, Try when water is cold and see if it happens then might narrow it down a bit.
Thanks Pete, I'll try that. I'd turned off all cold feeds to the mixer taps last night as we don't have balanced cold water yet in case it was pressurizing back through them but no such luck!

Cheers

Thanks Pete, I'll try that. I'd turned off all cold feeds to the mixer taps last night as we don't have balanced cold water yet in case it was pressurizing back through them but no such luck!

Cheers
Hi did you get to the bottom of this? I’m having the same issue

Thanks for the response, An engineer from the housing company came out yesterday and stated he recharged the cylinder but its still making the noise. finally uploaded the video this si a 18 minute video cut down to under 1 minute to show how often it happens

I will call them again today to come have a look again

Hi did this get resolved I’m having a similar issue?

Hi Brutos,
We have the same problem. If yours was solved, could you please share what it was and what needed fixing? Many thanks.

Reply to Loud clunking noise from hot water cylinder in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.
Back