Currently reading:
Logic Combi ESP1 35 always showing demand for Central heating

Discuss Logic Combi ESP1 35 always showing demand for Central heating in the USA Plumbers Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi folks,

I've got a potential problem with my Logic Combi ESP1 35. When the boiler is set to Central Heating and Hot water mode, the boiler indicates that there is a constant Demand for Central heating.

When the thermostats (TP5000 Si) are turned off (both pulled from the wall and also simply by turning off the heating either via temperature or timer) boiler continues to fire. The boiler indicates that the temperature of the system is always around the 50c mark and as soon as the temperature drops, the boiler kicks in and heats the water again.

I have a dual zone system with some form of valve system which is controlled successfully via the thermostats (photo attached) and as the radiators do not get hot unless triggered by one of the two thermostats i can only assume that it is working as expected.

Initially I believed that this was by design, however after finding a similar post on this site, I'm now not too sure.

I suppose my question is this; when the two thermostats are set to off, should the boiler be continuing to heat that water system or should it go into standby mode and allow the temperature of the system to drop until the thermostat kicks in to show a demand for central heating?

I've also included a picture of the thermostat wiring, which I believe to have been correctly wired.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Shaun

Attachments

• download.png
    download.png
    597.2 KB · Views: 35
  • download (1).png
    download (1).png
    769.2 KB · Views: 28
  • download (2).png
    download (2).png
    934.7 KB · Views: 35
John.G - not sure if you've noticed, but there's blue sleeves on the grey wires.
That just denotes the grey wires are being used as neutral wires.
My bad, just noticed the grey from your zone valves are connected to lives, the neutrals are connected to grey sleeved wires acting as neutrals. So yes, just connect up as Shaun has said, just the black wire to the terminal closest to the incoming live - NO LINKS!

I believe i understand this now :)

The black wire which enters to the bottom of the Room STAT/Timer block link is carrying power which is carried over through the link into the red wire leaving the bottom and activates the demand for central heating. Hence the boiler firing constantly.

By removing the link and placing the black wire in the 4th position (counting from the earth as number 1) as soon as the thermostats activate, power travels down the black wire and the demand for central heating fires the boiler.

Is my understanding correct?

Attachments

• final pic.JPG
    final pic.JPG
    152.4 KB · Views: 19

The black wire which enters to the bottom of the Room STAT/Timer block link is carrying power which is carried over through the link into the red wire leaving the bottom and activates the demand for central heating. Hence the boiler firing constantly.

By removing the link and placing the black wire in the 4th position (counting from the earth as number 1) as soon as the thermostats activate, power travels down the black wire and the demand for central heating fires the boiler.

No that is not consistent with what Diagram C shows. Surely the power needs to be fed into the next terminal along - the 5th position as you are counting?

This assumes that all the wiring centre power is coming from the same supply circuit as the boiler.
That is the proper and most likely arrangement.

But if you get issues with an rcd tripping (not MCB) then that would point to them being on different circuits from the consumer unit, which would need to be corrected.

Edit correct

That's great news.

During all the time your boiler was running on/off with the zone valves closed how did the boiler have minimum circulation?
Is there a ABV installed and if so is/was it noisy in operation, if installed, what make.

Reply to Logic Combi ESP1 35 always showing demand for Central heating in the USA Plumbers Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Back