Discuss log burner / gas ppe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

townfanjon

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
Cant find the answer to this anywhere, can anybody help
Pal of mine just bought a new house a few weeks ago. It has a logburner already fitted, but since moving in he has seen a old capped off gas pipe underneath it. (50 mm away).
We are assuming its 'live'.I obviously want to remove it, anybody know the crack if he can leave it.
Cheers

???
is it soldered?
if its left there, would be better with compression stop end.

where does it come in from?
can it be cut back there?

check the log burners instructions for clearances. most are designed to keep the area underneath below a certain temp to enable them to be fitted on thin non constructional hearths/fire places, many you can even store logs underneath.

if they are never going to use the gas supply then cap it away from the appliance for peace of mind.

Yeh pull up floor , probably loose board to side of chimney where pump / pipe work once lived. Chop and cap gas. Dead legs on gas should be cut back as far as possible .

I should be going over next week, not actually seen it yet. He thinks its a soldered stop end. Meter is to the right of the fire paneled in under a window, to the left is the kitchen with hob and boiler, so it looks like the fire supply is tee'd off the pipe supplying the hob and boiler.He has inherited the fire with the house and says there are no mi's with it. Oh and just to make it even harder there is a solid oak floor covering everything apart from the hearth.
'A can of worms' me thinks

I had this on a job where the stove installer had me in to remove old gas fire, concrete floors and hearth not being removed!
Caped supply off and got the stove installer to build a "fire proof box" to cover it, only the cap above floor lever so box was only visible if you looked for it, they made it up from the same stuff they used for register plates. "asbesterlux" or what ever its called!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to log burner / gas ppe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock