Search the forum,

Discuss Loft tank regulations - all help appreciated! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Shortcake

Hi

Our loft tank that feeds the hot water cylinder and cold taps upstairs is only 25 gallons. I want to add at least another 25 gallons. To save removing exisiting tank and moving other pipes is there any reason why I cannot couple another tank with it? The current tank conpletely drains when the bath etc is run and so I am sure that an additional tank would not end up being stagnent. If you have any advice I would be very grateful.

Many thanks

If you button another tank onto the existing one, they will both drain at the same time.

Water always finds it's own level, so you won't get one drop and the other stay full.

You'll want to use tank connectors and a fairly large bore pipe.

Finally, I will add, for the sake of it, I would remove the tank and fit a larger one. That way you only have the one tank to maintain, lag etc. Bite the bullet and do it properly.

However if you are determined not too, then you will have no problems buttoning on another. I've had to put tanks in tandem myself. Hope that helps.

Dan

dont forget to maintain a flow across the tanks to avoid stagnation and ensure you use a bylaw 30 kit on the new tank which is pointless if the old one doesnt comply, so you masy be better of renewing both or getting a larger unit as mentioned.

thanks for reply

thanks for the reply

Last edited by a moderator:
Fairly easy job!

Check ceiling will take extra weight of new tank though. 25 gallon tank is another 250lb. Make sure base is flat and even and well supported. Use By-law 30 kit and couple together using a minimum of 28mm pipe tank connectors or a couple of 22mm if you can't get them so easily.

What you are trying to do, is make sure the water from the new tank fills into the old tank as fast as the old tank is emptying.

Easiest way to ensure cross flow, is to take ballvalve out of existing tank and put it in the far side of new tank.

That way the water has to mix in both tanks and you should not get any stagnation areas where all kinds of things can grow.

Don't forget if using plastic tanks use a proper hole saw cutter if you can get one. Not the end of a piece of pipe warmed up. You can use a Stanley knife if your careful or chain drill it under size and rasp it out. A small half round rasp works better than a file which tends to get clogged easier.

Good fortune

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Loft tank regulations - all help appreciated! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock