Search the forum,

Discuss Location of bathtub legal? in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi, I am trying to help my mother in law by renovating her bathroom for her as it was in quite a sad state. The bathroom is a very poor attempt at a bedroom to bathroom convertion. So bad that it still had carpet over the whole floor, the area around the bathtub has no waterproofing what so ever. Large parts of the bathroom has mold on it due to the poor job.

Anyway, we were planning to move the bathtub into a corner of the room where we could easily make it watertight, so they could use it as a shower as well. Which the tap and shower head being on the side of where the sink is now (see attached picture). However a day into the demolition stage we realises that it would mean that the water heater would be partly within zone 2 of the electrical bathroom zones. My question is if the zones and specifically the 600mm zone 2 around tub restriction goes through walls or not. The water heater is right now in a wooden cupboard at the end of were we want the bath to go. My plan was to use a waterproofing system of some kind like the orange kerdi stuff or the grey and blue cement board stuff to build walls around it with a door. Almost making it a completely waterproof little mini 70x70cm room The bathtub would end 20cm before where the cupboard is now and would therefore be 35cm ish from the start of the water heater

I am not too worried about the actual danger of it as the tap/shower head is on the far end of the tub from the heater and I was planning to waterproof the hell out of the little room. But is it legal? Any help or advice will be appreciated.

(Also I am not a plumber or electrician and won’t pretend to be one, however I am an avid DIYer with attention to detail who always try to do a good job that is legal and will last for a long time)

Attachments

• tempImage8DgsK6.png
    tempImage8DgsK6.png
    3.5 MB · Views: 16
Make of this what you will:
BS7671 701.32.3 "The space under a bath tub or shower basin is considered to be zone 1. However, if the space under the bath tub or shower basin is only accessible with a tool, it is considered to be outside the zones."

I would suggest the concept of having to use a tool to access your proposed cupboard is important.

I think they’re classed as ok, but would depend on manufacturers clearances, also electrics might have to come from another room or where not in a zone?
Yeah I found a Diagram in BS7671 Section 701, The second diagram seems to suggest that the boiler would be just outside zone 2. As long as the wall dividing the bath and the little mini boiler room is thick enough

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-07-18 at 19.35.30.png
    Screenshot 2023-07-18 at 19.35.30.png
    378.8 KB · Views: 13
Fine as the boiler is in a cupboard also this is being updated if you have a plastic water main and gas your fine either way

Reply to Location of bathtub legal? in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock