Discuss Legal advice thread in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Masood

I've just had to ask a solicitor for a bit of advice and it occurred to me that we may be able to share our little bits of knowledge, with the caveat that it could only be for general advice as all situations vary.

Maybe this could eventually become a sticky?

My situation is - I was called out in an emergency by a tenant, who asked me to invoice the lettings agency direct for the work. I've done this dozens of times without problems so I agreed. This time, the agency have not paid the full invoice, deducting the "finder's fee" that the emergency plumbers' website charges.

The legal position on this is that the lettings agency is not bound by any terms and conditions, as they did not see them beforehand, and that my contract is with the tenant who called me out.

I'm no longer going to invoice agencies direct unless booked by the agency. The tenant pays immediately, and then claims back off the agency.

Hope this may be of some use to someone else.

never go to work for a tenant unless the landlord authorises it first, or the tenant agrees to pay you and claim it back. Lesson one in being a callout service! re the agents re invoice and threaten small claims unless full invoice paid. Only a small amount but I hate people taking the wee wee

never go to work for a tenant unless the landlord authorises it first, or the tenant agrees to pay you and claim it back.

Yeah, lesson learnt! :angry_smile:

re the agents re invoice and threaten small claims unless full invoice paid. Only a small amount but I hate people taking the wee wee

Well, the solicitor (mate's wife) said that I need to claim from the tenant. I agree, small amount but it's the principle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Legal advice thread in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi Everyone, For those who like a long read but I could rally do with some advice. Might be a bit long this. For background. A...
Replies
Views
Hello. I hope someone here has the expertise to help. I know exactly what situation it took awhile. On the loft on the 6th floor there is a...
Replies
Views
S
We had an incident of estate water pipe burst and united utility had to fix the issue for the whole estate and this time we didnt have much water...
Replies
Views
J
Hi Looking to 'crowd-source' some public opinion on this one. I bought a studio apartment on 30th September 2022 and I'm currently working with...
Replies
Views
My mother has a rented-out property at the above postcode. She's lives abroad and is stuck, and I am in a similar situation. Existing boiler is...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock