Search the forum,

Discuss Leaking unvented hot water cylinder - help needed - pics included in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jbc27

HI

We've got an unvented hot water cylinder with an element for providing hot water when not being feb by the Stanley Waterford stove which also does the central heating.

I've just noticed stains on the ceiling downstairs so took a look at the cylinder and there is tonnes of efflourescence and corrosion around the 'thermowatt' thing sticking out of the tank - pic below. I believe it is the heating element.

Simple question - is this a new cylinder? Or can the cylinder be drained down, part removed, cleaned up and a new one installed. If so any ideas on cost for such work?

Advice very much appreciated

20130721_133117.jpg

I've done some research and found a website (can't post link) heatingreplacementparts dot co dot uk

part number Ariston 65101884 is the relevant part - so should just be ok to replace like for like?

Further question being why has this happened? Tank is 7 yrs old so wouldn't expect it to be so bad. Does the system need a full flush?

Thanks

STOP NOW!

You need to hold a g3 ticket to work on an unvented cylinder. Cock this uo and you don't get hurt just a little bit. That thing has the ability to take the side of your house off!

You're barking up the wrong tree regarding a flush, drop that idea for that particular issue.

Post a thread in the 'I'm looking for a plumber / gas engineer' section of these forums remembering to include your location. [DLMURL="http://www.ukplumbersforums.co.uk/im-looking-plumber-gas-engineer/"]I'm looking for a Plumber or Gas Engineer[/DLMURL]

Chris I wasn't going to do it myself! Hence asking how much it would cost to do. will post in the suggested area. thanks

Good man, it's yours and your family's safety we'd be concerned for.

Without knowing where you are and not accounting for the unforeseen I think you'd be looking £100 - £150 plus parts.

As I said, if you post in the looking for a plumber forum as linked previously you'll get someone contact you.

Thanks croppie - South Wales. See these things being blown up on Mythbusters so definitely not touching anything. Have posted in the looking for section now. Cheers for the suggested prices that's encouraging!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Leaking unvented hot water cylinder - help needed - pics included in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi everyone, Looking for a bit of advice, recently went to a job where heating was operating when called for however not for the hot water. I have changed the 3 port actuator Honeywell head however this doesn’t seem to have solved the issue, does this mean that the programmer is faulty? Or is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock