Discuss Leaking Radiators, corrosion problems? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

DutchNibbles

Hi All,

Sorry for the long post...
I'm looking for some advice on my leaking radiators and boiler. I have recently had to replace three radiators due to them leaking from the bottom edge. I now have two others leaking, and the paint on one has bubbled up quite dramatically!
I have been advised that the boiler has created some kind of corrosive (the waters not mixing properly?!?!?) and i can expect more radiators to fall under the same fate if the boiler is not replaced. The piping is also causing a problem...
The piping is using a NON BARRIER PE pipe, which has been found to allow oxygen to be drawn across its surface and into the water within and this is bad news for a heating system.

If someone can supply any advice, it would be greatly appreciated. Beware! i know nothing about plumbing and i'm just quoting advice and information i have been given! :)

Thank you

your in a mess there,need to change pipework,radaitors will just keep poping,if non barrier pipe used.what type of boiler system is it,combi ,or tanks .?

Yes I agree, if 4 of your rads have gone then its only a matter of time before they all go, they have rusted from the inside so there isd no way of telling how bad and or when they are going to go, get them all changed asap, it could cause a disaster if one suddenly blows rather than starts dripping. Non barrier pipe can absorb oxygen, you might need to replace all of that (is it defo non barrier pipe?), your boiler might be okay if its got an aluminuim heat exchanger or stainless steel, it will need a good flush, can you see any markings on the plastic pipe?.

Thank you for the replies. The boiler is a PowerMax boiler about 10 years old. This came with the house when i bought it from new (new build) so i might see about contacting the house builder.
I've been advised it is mostly likely Non barrier PE piping after a friend found some information of the piping used at the time, but i am not certain.
I'm assuming this is going to be a big job, if the piping does indeed need replacing. I think i will be definitely contacting the house builder if i can claim against them or receive compensation.

Thanks!

It might still be barrier pipe, you are going to need to find a piece of it, (behind the basin or even under the floor) my best guess and this is a guess without seeing it is that the pipe is barrier pipe, and that the corrosion has been caused by a lack of inhibiter in the system and or combined with a poor design of pipe work causing pumping over,
Il bet at worst that you only end up replacing the rads.

BTW whats a dutch nibble? is it cooked in a dutch oven?.

Last edited by a moderator:
if you want an honest solution with someone in your position with so much trouble then my advice is to get some professional to take over mate.
Some times trying to save bit of cash will cost you more than what you plan to save...

Good luck.

Thank you for the replies. The boiler is a PowerMax boiler about 10 years old. This came with the house when i bought it from new (new build) so i might see about contacting the house builder.
I've been advised it is mostly likely Non barrier PE piping after a friend found some information of the piping used at the time, but i am not certain.
I'm assuming this is going to be a big job, if the piping does indeed need replacing. I think i will be definitely contacting the house builder if i can claim against them or receive compensation.

Thanks!
if you bought the house off the builder direct you may have a claim, but after ten years you will probably be wasting your time anyway, as they can claim the system hasnt been serviced properly. Concentrate on resolving your current problems in an affordable manner and youll have less stress and live longer.:)

Heating systems should always be run in barrier pipe unless if your old school like me COPPER.
You should also always have inhibitor in the system, this protects against this problem and also avoids the system gassing up.

Surely the heating pipework wouldnt have lasted 10 years with overflow pipe! I have seen a piece of overflow pipe accidently fitted to a heating system instead of barrier pipe and it had blown up to the size of a balloon in a short space of time and the piece was immediately replaced before it blew.

Surely the heating pipework wouldnt have lasted 10 years with overflow pipe! I have seen a piece of overflow pipe accidently fitted to a heating system instead of barrier pipe and it had blown up to the size of a balloon in a short space of time and the piece was immediately replaced before it blew.

Barrier pipe has a thin oxygen tight memebrane in it, you can see it when you cut through the pipe like the rings on a tree stump, non barrier pipe is still ok for hot water and cold water services and is quite different to overflow, Iam assuming that Dutch nibbles house is on a modern housing estate built by a well known house builder, 10 years ago that is what I was doing, we were using barrier pipe back then, This might not be the case in Dutch nibbles house .I can only assume on information given and take a best guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Leaking Radiators, corrosion problems? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock