Discuss Leaking hot water cylinder pipe in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Well, that gland nut has been tightened fully home. Normally there are a few threads visible - are the others all fully home all as in the picture?. This leads me to think that possibly that valve does not have a traditional gland packing and so you won't be able to service it in the way you intended. It should still unscrew, but if it was tightened fully home in the factory, you'll struggle to undo it now.

Of the non-leaking valves you have, is there a definite resistance to rotation when you turn them or do they turn easily? A correctly set up traditional gland will usually feel a bit stiff whereas O ring sealed glands have less resistance to turning.

3 in 1 oil won't dissolve limescale. It was actually (if legend has it right) designed as an oil which would coat the exposed surfaces of a bicycle chain (and so tends to clog precision mechanisms). WD-40 isn't much good as a lubricant, but it's good for cleaning purposes and it does seem to shift limescale, which was why I suggested it.

Well, that gland nut has been tightened fully home. Normally there are a few threads visible - are the others all fully home all as in the picture?. This leads me to think that possibly that valve does not have a traditional gland packing and so you won't be able to service it in the way you intended. It should still unscrew, but if it was tightened fully home in the factory, you'll struggle to undo it now.

Of the non-leaking valves you have, is there a definite resistance to rotation when you turn them or do they turn easily? A correctly set up traditional gland will usually feel a bit stiff whereas O ring sealed glands have less resistance to turning.

3 in 1 oil won't dissolve limescale. It was actually (if legend has it right) designed as an oil which would coat the exposed surfaces of a bicycle chain (and so tends to clog precision mechanisms). WD-40 isn't much good as a lubricant, but it's good for cleaning purposes and it does seem to shift limescale, which was why I suggested it.
Thanks very much for your latest reply Ric. I am learning a lot from you!

3 of the others are tightened fully home as in the previous picture. Just my luck! I don't know about the 4th, as it is a different make to the others (will post pics of the caps) and the plumber stopped that one leaking. It doesn't have a screw for me to take the cap off and have a look underneath like the others and I didn't dare force it off, in case it started leaking again.

The 3 radiators with the nuts tightened fully home turn easily and the different one is very stiff since the plumber fixed the leak (you will see in pic, it was so stiff I needed elastic bands to be able to turn it off after the plumbers left).

So, I am guessing from what you say, that one has a traditional gland and the plumber was able to tighten the nut and fix the leak and the other one he tried to fix must have an O ring sealed gland, which is why it is still leaking? He didn't say that though. Said he had tightened the packing nuts and they were no longer leaking. However, when they had gone and I checked them, only the different one (with white cap) was fixed and the other one (with grey cap) was still leaking. Seems to be leaking worse, so maybe he did do something to it.

Today, I tied a shoe lace around the bottom of the spindle, so I can direct the leak into a plastic container, (from some advice much earlier in this thread about tying some string and using natural capillary action). Seems to be working. Might the Fernox sealer fix the leak temporarily, if I put some around the bottom of the spindle?

I have gone back to my original fear of having the plumbers back in, so I might have another winter with all the leaks! I have seen a bigger drip tray for the hot water cylinder that should fit perfectly and need emptying less often. Hardly leaking at all at the moment but as soon as I heat it up and use the hot water, that's when it starts leaking more again.

At least I had the pilot light fixed on the boiler, which I wouldn't be able to do without in the winter. Oh God, I hope I haven't jinxed it saying that!

Attachments

• Radiator valve.jpg
    Radiator valve.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 10
  • Radiator valve2.jpg
    Radiator valve2.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
That's a pegler Belmont pattern rad valve uses 2 0 rings as seal's
Can still get them seem to remember the older valves needed the green 0 rings later ones red..
Unfortunately first you need to get gland nut lose first!

That's a pegler Belmont pattern rad valve uses 2 0 rings as seal's
Can still get them seem to remember the older valves needed the green 0 rings later ones red..
Unfortunately first you need to get gland nut lose first!
While you are here, can I ask you something else about my Vulcan 50 boiler? Do you know if it is likely to have asbestos inside it? I can see some white looking rope inside (you can see it in the pics I posted of inside the boiler), which I have read might be inside Vulcans. If it does contain the rope, or any other kind of asbestos, do any fibres get released when the boiler is serviced?

Almost certainly asbestos rope seals will not give you any problems unless disturbed.
Your boiler and rad valves were made within 10 mls of each other!

I recognise the white Cosmos valves. Yes, they have a traditional adjustable gland nut whereas, as exedon2 has stated, the Belmont ones don't.

Lucky you to have those Belmont valves. They are good quality and could be repaired. Less lucky, however, is that, as he says, you'd need to get them open and, if they are that tight, perhaps an adjustable spanner may not be enough. Apparently, they are designed to be serviced without having to drain the system (nice touch!). You could try LSX around them - can't see what harm it would do anyway.

Reply to Leaking hot water cylinder pipe in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up...
Replies
Views
PSxxxxxx
P
Hi, I have a Worcester 28i junior boiler that has started to lose pressure, only when using the central heating. When using hot water I have no...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer...
Replies
Views
I have had a look at previous posts and think I know the answer to this but just before I make it worse could I just check what you think about...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock