Search the forum,

Discuss leak? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Y

yabububa

Hello,

I'm new here and new to looking after my own flat and in need of advice - this might have to become a regular theme as things just keep going wrong!

I live in a basement flat and a few months after I moved in I noticed a damp patch slightly above a skirting board in the bathroom between the sink and the bathtub. The patch has since been growing in size and going higher up and getting darker. I took the skirting board off - which was very damp and there are cold and hot water supply pipes running behind it. Cold water one, which runs higher is solid green, whereas the other one is of coppery colour. I couldn't find an obvious leak or a section of the pipes which was wet, but wonder if there is a small leak somewhere causing the damp patch? Any advice will be much appreciated.

Katie

The green discolouration on the pipe is copper oxide, caused by exposure to moisture and oxygen. In short, a leak somewhere above the green bit. You'll need to cut away the wall higher up to find where exactly the leak is, then we can advise as to what you can do. It may be a compression fitting which just needs nipping up, or it may be a little more involved.

Once you've exposed the pipework a bit, a photo would be really helpful.

Welcome to the forum! :)

Thank you

I'll take some photos later on and attach them here.

I don't think there are any pipes above the two and not sure if I can do anything with the wall above as it feels like there's just a thin layer of plaster on bricks.

I wonder why only one pipe is green?

Katie

I don't think there are any pipes above the two and not sure if I can do anything with the wall above as it feels like there's just a thin layer of plaster on bricks.

I wonder why only one pipe is green?

Katie

Then possibly a leak along the pipe, water creeping along it.

My best guess is that you haven't got a leak, and its more than likely condensation from the cold pipe.

so if there is no leak but condensation causing the damp patch on the wall how can I stop it?

Katie

If it is condensation the only real way of stopping it is by exposing and lagging the pipes.

Welcome to the madhouse Katie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to leak? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have a growing damp patch on my ceiling, I initially assumed it must be from the empty flat above (and therefore cannot gain access), and have since used emergency cut off for that flat. I'm now wondering if it could a problem in my own flat, so cut a hole in the damp patch to investigate -...
Replies
Views
C
I live in an ex local authority end terrace house. I am unsure if I have an underground leak from a water pipe? Scottish Water tell me they can't help as there is no loss of water pressure and it's beyond the pavement. The tarmac at both corners are often damp, the front corner looks like the...
Replies
Views
There's a leak in the ceiling of my Dad's living room which is on the ground floor and has a bedroom directly above it. There's an in-ceiling speaker where water was dripping from, and there were slower drips coming from a...
Replies
Views
I have decided to remove the timber floor boards and joists as they are effected by damp and rotting. Was hoping to infill and have slab and screed floor. There is a gas servile pipe under the floor which enters the property below the joists at the front of the house and comes up under the...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, Recently all the water tanks in the attic were disconnected to connect to the mains water supply (mine was already on mains but the other 5 flats in the building needed to be connected to mains water) and the company were also going to fit PRV's and isolation valves to the pipework...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock