Search the forum,

Discuss Lead pipe to old taps in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Plum Bob 66

Hi

Visited a customers property today to attend to a leak behind the bath on the fitting.Heres the scenario, roll top bath original taps fitted behind the bath the had at least 1 and 1/2 inches of lead piping seated into a 25mm mdpe coupler, the leak was from the lead pipe into the coupler.

I undid the fitting to have a look, put it back and it wouldnt seat back on the lead for love nor money,conseqauntly leaking everytime the I put the water back on. I had to give up and infrom the customer that I couldnt fix the problem.I also informed the customer that the lead fixings at the back were a problem and as such should be changed and new period style taps be fitted along with the correct connectors.

Did I do right, and if not what should have been the correct course of action.

Would be grateful on some infromed feedback, because I would like to give the customer some options on who can deal with the lead problem

Thanks in anticipation

Plum Bob:confused:

I wonder if the lead can be tracked back to something more usable, like steel pipe?

I had a similar thing recently. I lifted one board though and the tails from the taps joined onto steel pipe after about 400mm. So I unscrewed the adapter and used a 3/4MI to 22MM comp adapter, and plumbed away from that in copper.

You may be in the same boat as i was?

Hi Danny pipe

It was literlly. copper 15mm to mdpe coupler to 1.5in of lead to tap.

Bob

OK, so is it possible to remove the MDPE and the lead and go straight from the copper to the tap, just buy a 15mm to 3/4 tap connector?

So you could either have a soldered or compression coupling from the copper, and then run your new pipework to the taps, remove the old tap connector and solder on the new one. Job done. Forgive me if I'm missing something? Sounds straight forward to me.

(We all know baths should be in 22mm but it looks uneconomical to do so here).

Last edited:
Sounds like good advice, unfortunately, and ive never seen anything like the this taps have literally been welded at the back with thick blobs of lead.

This is bizarre as all the other piping in the house is absolutely, spot on pucke !!

Bob

That is very odd. Could you do as I said above and run it in copper and incorporate two ballafix valves, then at least you can switch their water back on.

Then warn them that this may FUDGE their taps, but heat them up with the blow torch and have a thick rag, and melt the lead off. You may have a conventional imperial connection under that blob of lead!

If not, it's only their bath taps that are isolated not their whole house. Then order/buy new taps and fit. Job done, nothing to lose.

Last edited:
So there is no tap connector under the blob of lead? Oh well, tell them in the 21st century our pipes aren't made from lead, something to do with it being toxic!!! :)

Then you can do as I suggest and run it in copper to new taps. You could even use flexi's, show em modern plumbing at it's best!

Last edited:
Are they globe taps (Fitted to end of bath rather than top)?

If they are globe taps, with a lead connection, then I'd cut em off with a hacksaw and fit new period style ones. No real drama. The old ones might be worth a few quid on ebay. Not fortunes though.

In that case mate, I can see why you've been head scratching! I would tell em how it is, order the new taps and replace them. No other plumber is going to go in there and tell them different.

Sounds like the mdpe coupler as you say was maybe a universal philmac or plasson connector , you can get these replacements at drain centre and the 1/2" lead one is the easiest one to fit , it has to be very tight though using footprints .

Last edited by a moderator:
And as you said hacksaw the lead off from the back, its coming to me now lol..

Hi. If you unscrew the taps and replace the lead/ brass connectors with 3/4" x 22 mm bent female to copper connectors and screw the taps back. Good Luck

Hi. If you unscrew the taps and replace the lead/ brass connectors with 3/4" x 22 mm bent female to copper connectors and screw the taps back. Good Luck

I suggested that, but it appears there is no brass union (tap connector). Which is very odd.

know what you mean, didnt realise lead was involved until I undid the coupling, my heart then sank !!

Bob

taps were never welded with lead its most probably putty with lead washers the lead possibly has a female iron ferrule wiped onto the end for the globe cocks to screw into

taps were never welded with lead its most probably putty with lead washers the lead possibly has a female iron ferrule wiped onto the end for the globe cocks to screw into

I did reccomend that this could be the case. What I have learnt though Steve, is you can never say never.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Lead pipe to old taps in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock