Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Lead Pipe & Faulty Stopcock in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaydebruyne

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Went to a property today and had to cap off an old lead pipe going to an outside basin.

Trouble is, when I turned the water back on by the Stopcock on this picture, packing gland bust and sprayed water.

Couldn't undo the gland nut or the body to repair it and the lead pipe it's attached to is all over the place in terms of diameter.

In theory I'd cut out the old Stopcock, replace a section of pipe with leadlocs and copper pipe with a new stopcock in between.

But

a) aren't leadlocs supposed to be temporary solutions due to corrosion between the lead and copper and

b) how the hell am I going to fit a pair of leadlocks to this crazy bit of pipe?

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1419883847084.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1419883847084.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 115
you can use leadlocks. are you able to shut supply? why not try to change valve only?

Philmac do a fitting for it. Failing that how's your bossing?

When you say couldn't undo it? Did you check it wasn't reverse thread they still turn up now and again

you can use leadlocks. are you able to shut supply? why not try to change valve only?

Can shut the supply from the street. Wish I just used that and not the stopcock!!! Yeah it might be easier to change the valve. Will have a look to see what's available. But the valve is so old I'm not sure if they're still available. The outlet is bigger than the inlet and is a steel construction.

Will research.

Cheers GP

If you can turn it off further back in the street then you're laughing. Cut the lead either side back where it's clean and good and use lead locks both sides. Then fit new stopcock inbetween, make sure the arrow's in the right direction ;)

If you can turn it off further back in the street then you're laughing. Cut the lead either side back where it's clean and good and use lead locks both sides. Then fit new stopcock inbetween, make sure the arrow's in the right direction ;)

Forgot to say, if you can run in a new main from the outside stopcock and do away with the lead then all the better

Forgot to say, if you can run in a new main from the outside stopcock and do away with the lead then all the better

It's a rented property and landlords are stingy at the best of times. But yeah, I would agree with you 100%.

turn off in street and get that valve apart and see if you can swap the body for a new un, if not philmacs and new valve, doesnt matter if you damage the pipe trying to get the valve apart, just have all the bits ready to go. mind you a new mdpe main would be best option for all concerned.

Id explain to landlord that new main is the best option and that you need to spend money one these sort of things or they will come back to bite you in the future, say leads not looking in too good of condition or something and tell him that you can in no way guarantee any work if your not replacing main for Mdpe

lead and copper and brass like each other but they dont like steel to much.

How'd it go?

Haven't been back yet but have to go back tomorrow to seal the leak before we can get to do a proper job.

Boss told me to get something like milliput but for the life of me I can't seem to find a stockist in London - or google ain't playing nice!!

Is there anything else I can use like milliput that'll seal the leak on the stopcock as a temp repair???

I need to be able to get this tomorrow morning.... :sweatdrop:

Anything will do once it stops the leak for now or even if it reduces it to a manageable drip once you are going to replace the lot

So I went back armed with some Kraken tape ... That stuff is amazing!!!! Stopped the leak in about 2 mins :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Lead Pipe & Faulty Stopcock in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock