Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Landlords safety certificates. Quick refresher needed in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

armyash

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
Hi guys I'm expecting to be doing Landlords safety certs in my new job but not really done one except working weekends last year so could do with a bit of a refresher on what I should be checking. I want to do a thorough job but also want to do them efficiently and not look such a newbie.

This is what I have off the top of my head, feel free to add to it if you don't mind helping me out.

visual check of appliances
Checking flues and ventilation, smoke tests etc.
checking safety devices (shut off times etc)
checking the meter (bonding, accessability)
Analyzer tests

If anyone can give me some pointers specific to appliances that would be great. Thanks.

Hi Ash ... Basically follow the inspection paperwork ... Appliances that are the 'customers' own do not need checking but do need noting on your paperwork! Exception being any appliance attached to the landlords flue! The flue does need to be tested for safety 'weird' I know!!

Get yourself a cp12 sheet and just make sure you have an answer for every box on the form.

Its pretty much a service with a tightness test thrown in :)

What 'CP12' forms you using Ash? My approach regarding 'Service' is no, exception being anything open flued as I'd rather be safe than sorry. Quiz the landlord on their expectations being all aware that a service is not technically part of a safety check... imho :)

What 'CP12' forms you using Ash? My approach regarding 'Service' is no, exception being anything open flued as I'd rather be safe than sorry. Quiz the landlord on their expectations being all aware that a service is not technically part of a safety check... imho :)

Not sure what CP12's I will be using yet diamondgas. To be honest The GSR I was going out with last year would check the flues, do analyser tests and check the safety cut outs and check the meter. He didn't really service the appliances.

Not sure what CP12's I will be using yet diamondgas. To be honest The GSR I was going out with last year would check the flues, do analyser tests and check the safety cut outs and check the meter. He didn't really service the appliances.

A 'service' is not part of the safety check ... Being able to carry out an fga is a good aid in proving, should the fan be covered in excrement, that you're check at the time was 'safe' :)

1st thing you want to do is discuss with your employer what is required as regards it being a safety check or a complete service as well. If its for local authoritys then its going to be a service normally.

next is get yourself a load of instructions on a tablet computer and a list of manufacturers phone numbers.

tenants own appliances will require a visual risk assessment only, unless connect to the landlord flue. then because you will probably disconnect it to check the flue you must check/commission the applaince. So really you will check all appliances except cookers tbh.

record your visual risk assessments and any not to current standards in the comments box if theres one on the cert.

If theres an apliance you have not seen or worked on before and you dont have the instructions then visual risk it only and note it down as a return visit is needed when instructions are available.

as regards the checks just follow the boxes on the cert and the MI as appropiate.

you only need to use your fga on appliances that require it as part of its instructions normally, but fo most appliances that can be accessed to use one its best to do a test, or this may be a requirement of the landlord.

Last edited:
other things to remember is a good set of steps to get into the loftspace when checking flues etc.....

and if you test an open flue with extractor fans running note it down. eg. spilage test performed with kitchen extract fan running.

also develope a thick skin, as some tenants will thing your a spanker.

carry some on/off tape too, full set of labels and notice's.

Last edited:
llc is the equivalent of an mot, note any failures and the the landlord pays to put them right. If he wants to pay for a service followed by a llc then thats a different matter. just be sure he isnt expecting the lot for £25 inc fires and hobs included.

back boilers are your worst enemy, especially potterton ones as they eat up too much time in your day. take the rough with the smooth though you will get days with 12 combis in the same block of flats with no other appliances and other days with a back boiler and firefront in one room a dfe in the other and a gas cooker grrrrrrrrrrrrr and take a dust sheet so you dont have to put your tools down on the tennants filth encrusted floors and worksurfaces

My ebook is aimed at Landlords, but it covers most things so may be a good reminder.
I want Landlords to pay for it and it will be out in print in a few weeks.

GSR engineers ONLY can download it for free putting coupon details in at checkout page:
"The Landlords Guide to Gas safety" https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/279355
Promotional price: $0.00
Coupon Code: TD42V
Expires: July 6, 2013

Please - any mistakes or suggestions to improve it - contact me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Landlords safety certificates. Quick refresher needed in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello I’m hoping for some perceptive / input as I’m a long-distance landlord trying to unpick the best thing to do. Gas safety certificate was...
Replies
Views
Hi gents and ladies, Making the probable mistake of buying a house at present : bit of a fixer with a shoddy but recent boiler installation...
Replies
Views
Morning all. Very new to this game after a 10 year hiatus. Any guidance would be much appreciated Sorry if this may seem like a silly question...
Replies
Views
Hi all, We recently purchased a house and nothing seems to work correctly here, I've spent weeks rectifying issues. Plumbing, electrical...
Replies
Views
So I was doing a gas safety landlord check on a vaillant ecotec 835 and the meter was so far away from the flat that by the time I got there the...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock