Discuss landlord safety checks in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

pauls

hi im after an average price for landlord checks got one coming up and trying to gauge a realistic competetive price.

i would charge at least £50 for this type of work due to the liability, you will find some who rubber stamp certs for £20 odd, but they deserve all they get, but in a lot of cases they also get the work:(

cheers kirkgas i was thinking round that price the price i had in my head was £60

£35 for landlords with a boiler and hob and £50 for landlords with fire and bbu at £60 a go someone else will undercut you.
should really charge more but all landlords/ letting agents are tight fisted so you can either get the jobs by being cheaper or not get them bye charging the rate they should be
If for private customer and on extra £15 to £20

£65 all in regardless of the amount of appliances.

always service boiler before issuing cp12 you cant say its safe unless you do , £85 to issue and service.

Hey I wish I lived in same area as you guys. There are guys running around undercutting people were I live and charging £25 yes that is right £25 and this is regardless of how many appliances.
your doing well to get £35 these days. One of the letting agents I do them for gets me to do " invoices one is what I am actually making and the other is for £100 (this is what they charging the landlords) so lettting agent making £65 more than I get for doing job £35 but they still want cheaper it makes me sick

Hey I wish I lived in same area as you guys. There are guys running around undercutting people were I live and charging £25 yes that is right £25 and this is regardless of how many appliances.
your doing well to get £35 these days. One of the letting agents I do them for gets me to do " invoices one is what I am actually making and the other is for £100 (this is what they charging the landlords) so lettting agent making £65 more than I get for doing job £35 but they still want cheaper it makes me sick

careful plumster if the tax man cross links your invoices you,ll be stuffed and be liable for the extra tax on what they think you charged ie £100 , your leaving yourself open. be very careful mate:eek:

Some of these prices are very cheap. Do these prices include a full stripdown and service of all appliances?

always service boiler before issuing cp12 you cant say its safe unless you do , £85 to issue and service.

course you can mate thats the point of an analyser, working pressure test and visual checks.

servicing is a different service.

i can see what your offering is a service and a check after - but its possible and safe to to carry out your checks on a boiler and issue a cp12 without servicing the appliance.

£60 here.

I dont do them too often really as i'm mainly an installer.

Im never going to undersell myself to compete with the scum that is driving our industry into the ground. £35 for what is (should be) a good hours work. Then you add fuel and travelling time. They cant be doing it right.

No mate no service with it the landlords get what they pay for if they want a service aswell then yes prices same as yours.
£35 only when they giving you lots such as 20 a week and yes I do shut the ones down that need it and yes landlord moans like a girl but who cares.
landlords so much tight fisted here they use sabres with a looped heating circuit ( no radiators ) to supply hot water lol

course you can mate thats the point of an analyser, working pressure test and visual checks.

servicing is a different service.

i can see what your offering is a service and a check after - but its possible and safe to to carry out your checks on a boiler and issue a cp12 without servicing the appliance.

The way i look at it is this , If i am going to put my name down and say that that appliance is safe to use for another 12 months then i will make sure it is , if you are carrying out flue flow and spillage on say a bbu you have to take the firefront off anyway so its worth checking and cleaning the burner as well , so you may as well check the flueways , they could be sooting up for all you know without looking , you sign it off because the gas checks say its ok , 2 months later its dangerous , so what happens then , you,ve given a cp12 saying its safe .
modern boilers fine to visual and analyse but older boilers need a bit more , if the landlords don,t want to pay don,t do it ! simples let some other mug sign it off without checking.

bbu few and far between these days I cant even be bothered doing them and no I don't do these for £35 very min 55 when these in property mostly room sealed these days

The way i look at it is this , If i am going to put my name down and say that that appliance is safe to use for another 12 months then i will make sure it is , if you are carrying out flue flow and spillage on say a bbu you have to take the firefront off anyway so its worth checking and cleaning the burner as well , so you may as well check the flueways , they could be sooting up for all you know without looking , you sign it off because the gas checks say its ok , 2 months later its dangerous , so what happens then , you,ve given a cp12 saying its safe .
modern boilers fine to visual and analyse but older boilers need a bit more , if the landlords don,t want to pay don,t do it ! simples let some other mug sign it off without checking.

mate i check it on the say 1st of january 2010 - i check all the things that are required - any work that iks required is notified and i ar or id the appliance if i see fit - as regards to what happens 2 months later - i have my analyser printout and any pics i may have taken to protect me in that scenario - if they want a service they can pay for one seperate - or like you do charge 85 quid which imo is way to cheap.

how much do you charge for a service without the cp12? in a private house for example - 60 quid? so your therfore issuing a cp12 for 25 - your offering a good service for a cheap price if i were a landlord i wouldnt knock it - but they are 2 different services and to say your leaving a house unsafe if you dont carry out a service is far from the truth imo.

I understand what your saying Q this is just the way i operate for my own peace of mind ... by the way i charge £45 for wall hung £55 for bbu ;)

the thing with landlord certs, is that he has to have one. he dosnt have to have one with a pass on all appliances !!
landlord with a gas fire for me is a fail no matter what.
a hob, so long as you pull out the oven and have a look at pipework, will pass with an opening window,
if the boiler dosnt look like its falling apart will also pass, so long as on the cp12 you state not serviced on each appliance and check the ventilation is ok, should the appliance be working then your back is covered.
(thats from a gas engineer and a landlord)
shaun

dont forget they are only saying what they say for the moment you issue them, after that time, anything could happen. thats why you sign them off with a date and time

Last edited by a moderator:
always service boiler before issuing cp12 you cant say its safe unless you do

The point of an Landlord's Gas Safety Record (that's record, not certificate) isn't to SAY something's safe and 'pass' it. It's merely a record of the condition and function of the supply and appliances at that time. If something's not safe then you take the appropriate USP action. If it is safe but could probably do with a service then you recommend it on the record and it's down to the landlord to get one done (which they inevitably won't do). But it is incorrect to think of it in terms of pass and fail.

hello do you need to strip down and service for a landlord

I don't think you have to strip down and service on a landlords. I generally do though, they way I see it is whats the point in not doing it. You've pulled the case etc off the front it doesn't take much to get your henry out and give it a once over, especially if its a BBU.

As far a pricing goes I just say 55 quid for a boiler and 15-20 quid for every appliance after. I would drop my prices if I was contacted by a letting agent as they could probably give you a few at a time.

I charge £90. I don't do many, probably as I'm more expensive. I don't strip em down and clean em unless they need it. The clue is in the name: safety check.

It normally takes me an hour to do all the checks properly, fill the paper work out and get packed up.

I wouldn't entertain the idea of driving out and checking an appliance for any less. I got asked by a mate to issue one this weekend. When I told him the price, he said he'll get another quote. I thought: "Good"!

When i see some of the low prices on this thread, it makes me wonder why i bother spending thousands getting gas trained, registered, fga etc. These types of prices do nobody except the landlord any good. Sorry gas57 but £30 does not even get my van started for plumbing let alone gas work and is why good people / firms will go to the wall unless people begin to charge a fair fee- My window cleaner charges £10 for ten minutes work. Such fees make people cut corners imho.

I would say £60 for boiler plus £15 for each other appliance and as villa_tom said bulk discounts for letting agents

£30 is far too cheap for gas work, the fact that we get charged left right and centre with re-training and expensive equipment like FGA's and registering every year then you need to cover these costs in your prices and £30 just won't do that

Last edited:
hello do you need to strip down and service for a landlord

you dont need to strip down and service your only checking for safety, if after your FGA test your readings suggest the appliance needs serviced, advice the landlord and give them a price.

i cant believe some of the prices people in the industry are charging,landlords cert £55 with service £85

I charge £45 for the 1st appliance then an addiontional £10 per appliance after.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to landlord safety checks in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock