Search the forum,

Discuss Landlord gas safety inspection in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

plumb_know

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Hi everyone,

newly qualified gas engineer and have been requested to do gas safety inspection but slightly unclear how far you got with the inspection.

Mainly with gas fires, do you basically do a service as i take it you have to remove the fire to check catchment space & do flue flow & spillage test?

I have been trying to find some where which states exactly what you are required to do for different appliances to cover gas safe inspection?

Also what sort of charges do you guys charge (i am based in kent) i was thinking £60 + vat for boiler & hob/cooker (tightness test of system & visual inspection of pipework). £120 + if gas fire needed also.

Appreciate advise

Depends I would ask him what sort of price is he thinking as most want them for 30 all in

This is an estate agent so will be lots of this type of work.

£30? not worth doing them for that surely or am i doing too much?

with a gas fire i would be basically doing a service as to my understanding you have to check flueing of appliance which you have to remove the fire to do, then checking safety devices, tightness, pressure checks, gas rates, analyser ratio (ppm) on boilers, check positioning of flue & boiler etc.

thanks for prompt reply again shaun

can i find all this in the essential gas safety book 7th edition?

You need to fill in all the boxes on a CP12 sheet so yes what you have described
Most agents want it done for £30 and they guys that do it for this money must literally walk in the house, fill out the paperwork and leave, the only tool that comes off the van is a pen.
But if anything goes wrong they are in the ####

Thanks Scott, well i do not intend in cutting any corners (taken me long enough/cost enough for me to get this card) but obviously this takes time to do a proper job so can't be charging £30.

i took it as allow 1hour for boiler & cooker + 1hour for a fire, water heaters i would most probably just add £20 to bill.

I have done 1 inspection for them at £60 and had another one booked in but this had gas fire so fobbed it off till i was certain how far i had to go as they said no one has even looked at the fire in previous years.

just wanted to check i was doing what was required but not going over the top.

not worth doing it for estate agents tbh unless you get a good one would think min of £70

Don't forget time to collect and return keys
Tenants will mess you around
Agents won't pay for weeks

Hi everyone,

newly qualified gas engineer and have been requested to do gas safety inspection but slightly unclear how far you got with the inspection.

Mainly with gas fires, do you basically do a service as i take it you have to remove the fire to check catchment space & do flue flow & spillage test?

I have been trying to find some where which states exactly what you are required to do for different appliances to cover gas safe inspection?

Also what sort of charges do you guys charge (i am based in kent) i was thinking £60 + vat for boiler & hob/cooker (tightness test of system & visual inspection of pipework). £120 + if gas fire needed also.

Appreciate advise

Presumably you have a gas fire ticket?

You don't HAVE to do every thing on the form. Most forms have space for a tightness test, for example

Hi everyone,

Appreciate advise
I always do the full monty!
Tightness test before and after
Fire out, visually inspect flue/chimney
Smoke test and check outside and in the loft and rooms above
Inspect fire for faults (I always service them)
Gas pressures
Gas rate
Spillage (with and without any extract fan running).
Ventilation etc etc.
It takes a while to do it properly but you are putting your name to it as being safe to use.
As far as estate agents are concerned, I have always left them alone. Only because they tend to want ticked boxes and signatures for the minimum price.

My advice is to do the job properly so that you leave it 'knowing' that all is well. That way, if anything did occur in a property you have been to, you are happy that when you left it, there was nothing wrong.

I charge £70.00 for up to two appliances boiler and cooker and the £20.00 for each additional appliance. As most have said estate agents want it as cheap as possible because they add their percentage

Thanks everyone, i will stick to my pricing i think and they can take it or leave it as i am busy without them and know their current plumber is not great hence why they came to me.

Thanks everyone, i will stick to my pricing i think and they can take it or leave it as i am busy without them and know their current plumber is not great hence why they came to me.
That's typical. They want quick cheap and nothing else.
They aren't interested in quality, just the paperwork.
You can bet they charge the landlords for it though!

pretty sure around manchester the agents charge landlords about £120.00 for the safety cert possibly more

pretty sure around manchester the agents charge landlords about £120.00 for the safety cert possibly more
Does not surprise me at all.
I know an individual who does them for £25!!!
How?
Why?
Pointless!!

i have been asked a few times by agents to quote when i tell them how much they say we have a guy who does it for £40 or 45 i tell them to stick with him then. i would probably do for £55 if they could guarantee me steady work of about 10 a week plus all breakdowns, then it would be worth my while. but then you would end up losing your own customers and they could drop you at a moments notice for some knob who would sell his mother for £30.00 an inspection.

I charge £70.00 for up to two appliances boiler and cooker and the £20.00 for each additional appliance. As most have said estate agents want it as cheap as possible because they add their percentage

The additional appliances are likely to be fires. Are you saying you will do a fire for extra £20?

Personally, I refuse to inspect only anything with an open flue. I insist in servicing them, as to complete the required checks, you are nearly there anyway.

But, remember that a LL is entitled to have only the required tests done (which for a RS appliance is minimal. You are equally allowed to refuse to do the work. What you shouldn't do is try to suggest that YOUR standards are the minimum require.

Good advice from someone re access. Collecting and returning keys can be a pain.

i did do but most of my jobs never had a fire. and now i dont do landlords anymore because people expect them done for next to nothing, used to do about 30 a year for one estate agent who were happy to pay the correct rate but they were a high end estate agent didnt entertain any in lower rental areas my work is south manchester and cheshire based so mainly work in hale hale barns wilmslow and alderley edge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Landlord gas safety inspection in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Article
A Plumber Who Worked Illegally Gets A Suspended Sentence After Falsely Claiming To Be Gas Safe Registered. A Plumber in Herefordshire was prosecuted after Hereford Trading Standards Team found that he was falsely claiming to be on the Gas Safe Register when he was not, putting members of the...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock