Discuss Kitchen sink plumbing problem in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

themadmonk82

Hello. First off can I say that i'm a plumbing novice! I have recently moved into a new house and I'm in need of a little plumbing advice if there are any knowledgeable people out there kind enough to give me some help.

Above is a link to some pictures of the plumbing under my kitchen sink. To my untrained eye, the 'outlet' pipe to the drain outside is too high. Maybe the trap is also in the wrong place? Water from the sink and drainer has to rise almost to plughole level before it drains out into the outlet pipe. Am I correct in assuming that the only thing I can do to rectify this is to lower the hole in the outer wall that leads to the drain? ie drill a new hole in the wall?

Also what is the black contraption in two bits linked by a black plastic lead? It has a dial on the top of the sink but it doesn't seem to do anything?

Any help or advice would be wonderful as I'm running out of money trying to fix all the bodges i'm discovering and need to do as much as possible myself to keep costs down!

Thanks for reading

Thanks. I can't post pictures or urls because I'm a new member! I only discovered this once I'd written the post!
Any idea how I can give access to pictures with these restrictions? ?

The black lead and 2 parts sounds to me like a basket strainer pop up. Basicly tirb the knob and the plug should pop up. Pictures as stated would enable us to assist you better.

Hopefully should be some pics up soon Thanks to a very helpful person!

I have been looking closer and I think they have installed the bottle trap the wrong way round also??!

20140811_185147.jpg20140811_185139.jpg20140811_185130.jpg20140811_185122.jpg

There you go

It looks like someone has just made that up out of left over bits. You shouldnt have a bottle trap on a kitchen sink anyway.

I'd get a plumber in to replace the trap & pipework under the sink and run a new pipe through the wall, it probably won't cost as much as you might think

Didn't have time to comment this morning, yeah as said above, that's a mess, it needs ripping out and doing properly.
As long as the outside is accessible and there's nothing to restrict a new pipe run that should be a pretty quick job for a plumber.

P.S.
The bottle trap is on the right way (shouldn't be anywhere other than a basin though.) The swept tee is on the wrong way round and that bit of flexi waste probably cost about as much as a proper 1 1/2 waste kit ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Kitchen sink plumbing problem in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock