1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discuss Kitchen draw hitting gas stopcock in the Plumbing Forum area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. Shippa

Shippa New Member

Hi, I have just had a Magnet kitchen installed and a new hob fitted on the 18th of May. It came to my attention shortly after, that the back of middle draw in the unit under the hob is just hitting the gas stopcock, I would say that the draw is not closing fully by about 0.5 to 1 mm. After several text messages, and his agreeance to come out, but failing to do so, I again asked if he would come out next week, his reply was "yes mate but I will have to charge to re-do this". My question is, is this unsafe? the draw is soft close and the back is made of thin flexible steel. I have his gas safe registration number on his certificate.

Gas Tap and Draw.JPG

2. Gasmk1

Gasmk1 GSR

not unsafe but not ideal will only take him 10 minutes to rectify.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  3. Rob Foster

Rob Foster Top Contributor!!

Looks like a 90. deg turn will sort it , drop test, alter, drop test is it the gas fitter or the kitchen installer hmmm
    Rob Foster aka centralheatking

• Like Like x 1
  4. Ben-gee

Ben-gee Plumber

Pull drawer out, hit the back panel from the outside with a ball-peen hammer to make a tiny 0.5 - 1mm indentation , put the drawer back and chill.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. ShaunCorbs

ShaunCorbs S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Depends do you mind looking at a eg you could drill a hole the same size so the draw fits over the valve

6. Gasmk1

Gasmk1 GSR

complain to magnet if done through them as i said and rob explained its a ten minute job for him (if he is gas safe)

• Like Like x 1
  7. CBW1982

CBW1982 Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Get him back, and he shouldn’t be charging for the work as he’s not made sure you’re satisfied, nor is it satisfactory workmanship.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. scott_d

scott_d Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Aren’t those the gas taps with the gubbins at the back that shouldn’t be fitted anymore?

9. Rob Foster

Bes Gas Controls Electric Avenue Brum, the largest UK
    supply outfit have them in their catalogue Centralheatking

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. Rob Foster

The point I was making is this
    The GSR probably put the gas in BEFORE the kitchen was fitted, in the absence of a complete specification installed his work properly. So why should he carry the can ? The electrics look a bit near the knuckle as well in my opinion
    is that a standard width utility space ...Rob Foster aka centralheatking

11. CBW1982

CBW1982 Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Perhaps yes, but also perhaps this could have been talked about (not dismissing it) at design and installation stage?

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Rob Foster

Make Magnet pay, its their fault
    in my opinion, they designed it I suppose and did not specify the clearance at the back, 99 x out of 100 they will get some fall guy to pay for the short falls in their specification. If that was a Health Service install it would NEVER be signed off
    I know done plenty of medical work and the same standards should apply...Rob Foster aka centralheatking

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Murdoch

Murdoch Active Member

What is that device the plug is plugged into (and no not the wall socket!)?

14. Rob Foster

I saw as well not nice IMHO

15. ShaunCorbs

ShaunCorbs S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Something like an rf switch maybe ?