Search the forum,

Discuss just a quick purging question in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

beesley121

Just reading through one of my gas books which explains how to calculate a purge on pipework over 28mm.

now a standard purge can be just vented to a ventillated room (0.01m3) but a purge of over 0.02m3 need to be continually ignited and burnt off until a stable flame is achieved

what i cant understand is say a propety needed a single piperun to a combi that had to be done in say 35mm. Once calculated, the purge volume is over 0.02m3. now there is no gas hob, oven or fire to purge from. The book states that a volume of over 0.02ms has to be burnt off so just cracking the union is not an option.

Can anyone tell me what they expect you to do if this scenario arises?? it mentions a temporary open burner. any idea what it means

also, before a purge is carried out, it says that a tightness test must be done. Fair enough, but it does not say a tightness test has to be done after either!! so by opening up a union say on a boiler again, is a further tightness test not required as it just mentions LDF. I myself would just rely on LDF

Do you want real world or theory..?

Real world,ensure room at vent point is well ventilated and remove sources of ignition. Slacken union or undo valve outlet and let it blow. You will usually hear the change as gas comes through due to differing densities between air and gas. In a typical house,at full bore,if 5 seconds have passed,it;ll be done. Secure connection,test for soundness. Light appliance,check for safe and correct operation. Ensure any residulal gas has been vented.

Do you want real world or theory..?

Real world,ensure room at vent point is well ventilated and remove sources of ignition. Slacken union or undo valve outlet and let it blow. You will usually hear the change as gas comes through due to differing densities between air and gas. In a typical house,at full bore,if 5 seconds have passed,it;ll be done. Secure connection,test for soundness. Light appliance,check for safe and correct operation. Ensure any residulal gas has been vented.

yep, understand how gas fitters do it in the real world as ive worked along side them for long enough but now its time for me to sit the acs myself and if i get asked the very same question, what should my answer be??

with your boiler example, why not run boiler till it lights ?

ever heard of explosive ignition??

heard lots of stories about brand new boilers supplied via copper thats 35mm and has not been purged correctly, thus voiding manufacturers warrantee. just wanted to know what they expect me to say in my acs even though i know and others know to just ventilate the room and extinguish all possible sources of ignition and let it **** out lol till we smell proper gas

bunsen burner??

cheaper than a purging unit, tho i have never need to use one.

think the book says you should have an outlet like you have on the meter to do tightness test and purge from there and has to be soldered on the pipework next to the boiler i could be wrong or thinking of something else but am sure that was how you done it, personally i wouldnt be comforable letting that much gas into a room and would use my sniffer till it goes to high and then tighten the nut back up

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to just a quick purging question in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
I have had a look at previous posts and think I know the answer to this but just before I make it worse could I just check what you think about this one. Granddaughter just moved house and this valve decided to leak when it was closed. When open its fine. Normally I have repacked the gland on...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock