Search the forum,

Discuss Issues with new radiators heating up! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello!

I've recently installed 4 new radiators in an extension onto an existing system. The system was put in by a builder which made me suspect to the pipework. I T'd off the 22mm primaries (after zone valve) and ran 22mm into the new extension then ran 15mm pipe in the floor (lagged) for the new radiators.
The new extension is an open kitchen with a little utility room. I did a BTU's calculation using an online website i got around 16, 000 BTU's. Which i took to city plumbing and they gave me rad sizes i needed. The customer didnt want to pay that much for the rads and so found 3 column rads off amazon (non- convector) and i fitted a stelrad in the utility.

They wanted a new boiler so i fitted a Grant Vortex outside boiler 26kw. The system is an S- plan.

I was abit suspect when the rads arrived because of the small size of them.

I also didnt get a chance to put airvents on my pipework which came through the wall because the builders boxed it all in.

I had lots of problems with air at the beginning so forced all airlocks out and added plenty of inhibitor.

The customers came back to me last week saying the rads just dont get very hot at all. I went back an balanced the system to see if that helped. The new rads took around 1.5 hrs until they reached a good temperature. The existing house takes less then half that time.

This still hasnt helped and ive now got pretty frustrated customers!

Im going back to put a thermometer on the flow and returns of the rad pipework and precisely balance the system

- going to check which nozzle is in the boiler and range it up

The pump is a 15/50, there are 14 rads on the system.

Sorry for the long post but after i've tried these next two things i will be stumped!!

Can anyone give me any more advise!?

Thanks!

Was the extension definitely run in 22mm dropping down to 15mm for the rad tails or have they teed off 15mm to 15mm

Undersized potentially then what sort of combined KW are we talking on rads and separately. Try proving this by turning off all bar one then seeing if that one gets toasty

Undersized potentially then what sort of combined KW are we talking on rads and separately. Try proving this by turning off all bar one then seeing if that one gets toasty

The rads apparently equalled approx 5600BTUS

Even if they are undersized why are they taking such a long time to heat up?
I want them to heat up in a good amount of time and if the room doesn’t warm up prove that they are undersized...

Why did you let somebody else dictate size of radiators?

I would have put extension on its own zone and pump.

Forget nozzle size in the boiler, the boilers not the problem.

The burner output could be undersized resulting on the last rads on circuit struggling for heat, the pump could be undersized or not on correct setting and not giving enough pressure/flow rates, again resulting in this problem as could undersized pipework. I would shut down all rads in original house and see if circulation improves in extension and go from there.
Like Simon said personally I would of put extension on own zone and possible own pump if needed.

The burner output could be undersized resulting on the last rads on circuit struggling for heat, the pump could be undersized or not on correct setting and not giving enough pressure/flow rates, again resulting in this problem as could undersized pipework. I would shut down all rads in original house and see if circulation improves in extension and go from there.
Like Simon said personally I would of put extension on own zone and possible own pump if needed.

Thanks, when I shut off the oringinal house the extension rads get very hot.
They do currently get hit but they take around 1.5hrs to reach that temperature. That’s why I think it could be a simple balancing issue?

Potentially as that section is all in 15mm but I’d say you’d only be losing minimal flow. How many rads in total and what’s the KW out put of boiler

Water takes the path of least resistance, so no I don’t think so. The fact these new rads heat up when everything else is off suggests again like I said either undersized burner output and extension rads are only receiving adequate heat when other rads are up to temp, or again the pump/pump setting. Have you personally calculated the system load demand when full and compared to burner output?

Water takes the path of least resistance, so no I don’t think so. The fact these new rads heat up when everything else is off suggests again like I said either undersized burner output and extension rads are only receiving adequate heat when other rads are up to temp, or again the pump/pump setting. Have you personally calculated the system load demand when full and compared to burner output?

Okay, it’s an oil boiler so I’ll find out what injector is fitted and range it up.

Pump is on 3. So I will probably look at putting a pump and zone valve on the extension flow.

I don’t know how to do those calculations. Could you point me in the right direction please?

There’s also brand new pump on system

The burner output might be the problem, I’m not saying it is! However if you adjust nozzle and pump pressure output you will obviously need to redo FGA and adjust accordingly. With regards to calculating heat load I’m not an installer so others who do may have quicker ways to calculate but You can find either stuff online or even apps I believe to input numbers and it will do it for you, however it’s not as simple as adding rad outputs up, other factors like wall insulation, types of windows etc etc are all needed to get an accurate representation of output required. To be honest this should have been done before a new boiler is chosen and installed anyway. Sizing the pump is again quite a lengthy process and like I say although I understand that process others on here are better to ask.

Reply to Issues with new radiators heating up! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock