Discuss Issues with commercial gas meter in domestic property in the Gas Engineers Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

You can normally find the gas rate of an appliance in the manufacturers instructions.

Failing that you can work it out off the Gross heat input whether that be in Btu's/hr or Kw/hr.

If you don't have manufacturers instructions they will be online or there may be a visible data badge on the appliance.

I use a calculation from my head but it is round the houses and one I have used since God knows when. It is accurate but I dare say there are more modern ways even if they do get you to the same answer.

If you google Kw to M3/hr gas, there are a few dotted about that will work.
I have used the 100,000 BTUS IS 100 cu ft since i Started and to convert 1 kw is a 1000 BTUS, it’s simple and pretty accurate which would make 64 kwatt is 640 cu ft

there is ~ 0.293 kwh in a cu ft gas or ~10.35 kwh in a cu meter
64 kwh = 64/0.293 or 218 cu ft . (6 cu meters)
there are 3412 btus in a kw.

Last edited:
1 kw is 3412 BTUS as pointed out below I wasn’t fully awake when I wrote this
Mine goes like this, Kw x 3412 = Btu's /1040 (1037 at the mo calorific value of one cubic foot) = Ft3 /35.32 (near enough) = M3
Or My quickest method is Kw / 10.77 = M3 (really rough but good enough for small stuff).

Just read the full thread and the requirement is for 2 x 30 kw boilers, so to be on the safe side assume boiler efficiencies of 85% the requirement is 60/0.9 or 67 kw net, assuming "wet gas" loss of 10% then requirement is for 67/0.9 or 75 kw gross. Don't know what the average gross CV of UK gas is but (I don't have gas) the last bill I saw (here) showed 11 kwh/M3 so meter requirement is, 75/11 or 6.8M3.
There is probably a published regional gas gross CV for the UK?.

Kw/h divided by 10.65 gives you m3/h

That Imperial meter is badged as 565 cuft/hr.
That's 15.999 cu mtr /hr so under 16 as above posts.

When you contact engineers for quotes mention the meter is an Imperial U16, save them wasting yours and their time coming out to refuse to touch it.
And as above also test their knowledge and confidence.

It's be interesting to hear of a Smart Meter fitters reaction to the meter.

Smart meter fitter here. I knew from the first post it would be a imperial u16 lp meter. That's a walk away for me personally, too big for my spanner ;D.

Very surprised that the op's gas engineer wouldnt know that or be able to provide a new boiler for the op. Definitely get some more quotes and avoid the first lot.

Funny how people think they only have tiny 5 bed houses with 17! rads. I very much only find those meters in big houses. When I roll up on mansions like that my first thought is usually U16/3phase!

Reply to Issues with commercial gas meter in domestic property in the Gas Engineers Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

If a domestic boiler/gas appliance is in a commercial property, does this mean a gas engineer would need commercial tickets/qualifications?
Replies
Views
I have a domestic gas meter located at one side of my building and my boiler/cooker (only 2 gas devices) on the other side of the building. There...
Replies
Views
I had a boiler check today all went well, and then he went to check on the gas meter which is in my larder in the kitchen high up on the wall...
Replies
Views
Had conventional boiler and tanks removed last year and new combi fitted and just recently had it serviced but the guy who did it has given me a...
Replies
Views
Good afternoon all, First time posting on this site. I’m need of some opinions from Gas engineers if possible. My house is 1930s (I think). I...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock