Search the forum,

Discuss Is this my "drain cock"? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

djp_phillips

Is this where I can drain the system in my home? I can't find anything else...

IMG_5785.jpg

No. The brass canister circled red is the magnetic filter for your heating system. The braided hose in blue is the filing loop for your heating system. The drain offs are at the bottom of the second blue line from the left, and another one on the pipe next to it.

How long would it take a professional to come in, drain the system and replace the valve with another one (my value is damaged so cannot turn radiator on)?

The plumbers I've spoken to in my area only tell me their hourly - but don't tell me how long this usually takes, happy to pay ÂŁ50/ÂŁ60 for this but not much more...

So if you're plumber/heating engineer charges ÂŁ50 per hour would you still pay him if he only had time to drain system and remove valve.

Those DOCs are in a poor position will possibly have crap in them, may need new washers after. What if your system has air locks and takes an age to drain refill.

as above it "could" take half an hour or considerably longer depending on various different circumstances

If you're dictating the price you probably won't get much response.

Say, for an example, a lad has a ÂŁ35.00 hourly rate. He won't actually be pocketing much more than ÂŁ12.00 of that. The rest goes on insurances, tools, training, fleet, affiliations with bodies such as Gas Safe and so on.

So I'm definitely coming across as an arse here but let me clarify what I meant - professionals will know how much time it takes to do a certain type of job, barring any nasty surprises, therefore I just think it's better for the customer to just be told it's a ÂŁ200 job or a ÂŁ250 job. Not "I'm ÂŁ60/hour" I have no idea with that what kind of cost we're looking at.

Or at least I should be told an hour rate and an estimate number or hours it will take (emphasis on estimate here). Point being I shouldn't be thinking it's a ÂŁ60 job if it is going to take several hours...

Last edited by a moderator:
The plumbers I've spoken to in my area only tell me their hourly - but don't tell me how long this usually takes, happy to pay ÂŁ50/ÂŁ60 for this but not much more...

It's possible to swap a radiator valve in under 20 minutes, without draining the system. However, it takes years of training and experience to get the nerve to do it, and expensive insurance just to cover one's back in case it does go wrong. It's a shame that your perception of what the job is worth only seems to take into account the time required to do the job if all goes smoothly, and none of a tradesman's running costs, nor the value in having his/her wealth of knowledge and experience to deal with the unexpected.

Or at least I should be told an hour rate and an estimate number or hours it will take (emphasis on estimate here). Point being I shouldn't be thinking it's a ÂŁ60 job if it is going to take several hours...

That's not unreasonable, but I would emphasise the possibility that if the system airlocks, then it could take a lot longer than estimated. I did this last week - told the customer my day rate plus materials as a worst case scenario. Finished in two hours, and charged accordingly as I was then able to move on to other jobs and still earn a full day's money.

I have just yesterday replaced 3 rad valves to new trv valves. Nuts and olives and new tails changed, 2 of which had to be longer type.
It would have been a nightmare job for a non plumber, but I saved the customer money by being able to do it. So my experience and my van full of parts and various tools are worth a good hourly rate.
People that work for companies often have no clue to the real running costs of a business

:( I'm sorry but I'm still feeling misunderstood - I want to get a professsional in :)

I value your knowledge and time very much, I just want to be clear on what it all means I guess, and also I'm interested in knowing what's what anyway to feel more capable myself.

Sorry if I've offended anyone.

:( I'm sorry but I'm still feeling misunderstood - I want to get a professsional in :)

I value your knowledge and time very much, I just want to be clear on what it all means I guess, and also I'm interested in knowing what's what anyway to feel more capable myself.

Sorry if I've offended anyone.

No offence taken (at least by me!). I think it's just a matter of opening peoples' eyes to how much it costs to run a business, and that probably less than 1/2 of the hourly rate goes to the tradesman.

Your best bet, seriously, is to post your location here:

[DLMURL="http://www.ukplumbersforums.co.uk/im-looking-plumber-gas-engineer/"]I'm looking for a Plumber or Gas Engineer[/DLMURL]

You're guaranteed to not be ripped off - the job you're describing is hard to quote for as it can be a doddle or a nightmare, and hard to know which until after you start, but if you call in someone from the forum at least you can be certain of their honesty and skill.

It could take 1 hour, it could take 3 hours. Depends on the type of system and how the set up is. Its hard to be any clearer than that without seeing it.

Thank you all for the tips, one last question for here, what's this pipe going outside? Is that a one pipe draining solution? :) or is that the emergency/pressure too high escape pipe in case it's about to blow?

IMG_5789.jpg
IMG_5790.jpg

Pressure relief, in case the system pressure goes above 3 bar. Then that valve will open to allow water out, I don't advise draining the system from there.

Thirded. If you, or anyone, tries to drain down from there you run the risk of it not seating again. And then it would have to be replaced at even more expense!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Is this my "drain cock"? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Does anyone know where I can get one of these? Toilet is leaking into the bowl. This one pushes in with a half turn but I can't find one anywhere.
Replies
Views
S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and...
Replies
Views
Sonya K
S
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up...
Replies
Views
PSxxxxxx
P
Our kitchen mixer tap has started dripping. Like so much of the plumbing in our almost new build bungalow, it is lacking! The plumber didn't...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock