Search the forum,

Discuss Is this gas meter location safe? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Seb

Moved into a new house this week (new to us, not a new build) and initially had a bit of trouble locating the gas meter. Eventually found it in the kitchen, however it is almost fully enclosed within a plasterboard wall with only the reading display visible and a small hole to reach the gas tap. The kitchen is an extension, however I have no idea why whoever built it didn't fit a proper door or hatch of some kind to hide the meter. My main concern is safety, and I'm wondering if anyone could offer advise as to whether this kind of installation is acceptable or not.
20181003_173032.jpg

No not safe or acceptable surprised this wasn't flagged up before you bought the house

Best to call the gas transport or out

No not safe or acceptable surprised this wasn't flagged up before you bought the house

Best to call the gas transport or out

Not flagged up on survey at all surprisingly. What would be the best course of action? Could the meter remain where it is if a large enough opening was cut into the wall to allow access? Will be getting the boiler serviced soon by British Gas, so will be interesting to see what they say when they see the meter...

Not flagged up on survey at all surprisingly. What would be the best course of action? Could the meter remain where it is if a large enough opening was cut into the wall to allow access? Will be getting the boiler serviced soon by British Gas, so will be interesting to see what they say when they see the meter...

Phone the gas transportor also building control is the extension legal ?

And maybe but probably not this is down to the gas transportor

I wouldn't get it serviced yet as it will probably leave you turned off

Problem is they've more than likely built over the supply

Not looking good then. Best case scenario is potentially opening up the wall to expose meter and possibly replace it. Worse case scenario is having to get the floor dug up and paying to have the supply re-routed?

Not looking good then. Best case scenario is potentially opening up the wall to expose meter and possibly replace it. Worse case scenario is having to get the floor dug up and paying to have the supply re-routed?
Open the opening to reveal all of the meter and the pipe connections for now then talk to a gas safe engineer about the next step.

I would contact the gas transportor first to see if there happy with the supply

Then once there happy get a gas safe engy to open up and sort any issues out

Moved into a new house this week (new to us, not a new build) and initially had a bit of trouble locating the gas meter. Eventually found it in the kitchen, however it is almost fully enclosed within a plasterboard wall with only the reading display visible and a small hole to reach the gas tap. The kitchen is an extension, however I have no idea why whoever built it didn't fit a proper door or hatch of some kind to hide the meter. My main concern is safety, and I'm wondering if anyone could offer advise as to whether this kind of installation is acceptable or not. View attachment 34726

I can not believe gas engineer did not sus this when boiler or fire was serviced if ever Not but having said that only piped a PSV to outside wall on a boiler and this boiler was serviced on a regular bases But the Difference is most of the service to boilers is done by a utility company in Ireland and the engineer is payed by what is done in the day But if I was you I would have this sorted sooner than later and I am sure this meter behind a drylined wall is not permitted in the gas safe standards it looks like to me it is a imperial gas meter and not a new Digital Type Worst case is to have it shifted to out side than run in new gas line to pick up existing gas line and gas pipes are not allowed behind dry lined walls except horizontal and these have to be protected and covered by a metal shroud

Reply to Is this gas meter location safe? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Some advice please about a really worrying problem. I live in a terraced 2 bed room house. 10 days ago the gas combi boiler stopped heating the radiators but still gave hot water to the shower and taps. Naturally we thought there was a fault with the boiler. We had already arranged a yearly...
Replies
Views
Hi all I really need some help or adviseā€¦.. Back storyā€¦.. Some years ago my dad had an extension to his house which included a newly built downstairs shower room. Recently he had this downstairs shower room re-fitted/decorated. Quite a simple set up consisting of a sink, toilet and shower...
Replies
Views
Just to be really clear I will not be doing any of the work mentioned below. This will all be carried out by Gas Safe Engineers. We're in the process of buying a property which is a bit of a doer upper. One room houses the gas meter and boiler and we are keen on moving both of these to turn...
Replies
Views
Could someone take a look at this for me please? Just had a boiler put in our property on a grant scheme. The boiler is great other than him not cleaning the pipework including gas joints before leaving šŸ™. I've cleaned it up and it seems alright. My other main worry though was what the follow...
Replies
Views
I am generally a decent handyman, can usually make 2+2=4 and take care of most things to avoid troubling experts with just the basics, but know also not to bumble around blindly beyond that. We moved house last week and with the glorious hot weather we weren't bothered about the heating, more...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock