Search the forum,

Discuss Is this flue safe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think a GSE needs to check it out first, we could be making assumptions about the bends and the tape has just been used as support/keeping them together as an additional means.

Weren't you was it?! You do not hold flues to joists and purlins with duct tape! You don't. You just don't.

I do have his gas safe registration number and so do Glowworm, but I think it would be unfair to post it or how much I paid him on this forum. The Boiler was installed a week ago, but in hindsight has fortunately only been running in hot water mode as the downstairs radiators where not getting warm.......

In addition I withheld the vast majority (80%) of what they were due for the installation as the system was not working properly.

The question I have now is do I trust them enough to allow them to put it right.

I think a GSE needs to check it out first, we could be making assumptions about the bends and the tape has just been used as support/keeping them together as an additional means.

no good engineer in their right mind would install a flue like that, this guy is a cowboy and we shouldnt be defending this at all, it is probably duct tape that he has used, RIDDOR reportable and HSE will investigate and proescute whoever installed it

i do have his gas safe registration number and so do glowworm, but i think it would be unfair to post it or how much i paid him on this forum. The boiler was installed a week ago, but in hindsight has fortunately only been running in hot water mode as the downstairs radiators where not getting warm.......

In addition i withheld the vast majority (80%) of what they were due for the installation as the system was not working properly.

The question i have now is do i trust them enough to allow them to put it right.

no no no no no no no no no!!!!!!!!!!!

he cant possibly ge GSR have u checked his number on the web site to see if its legit?

mate do the right thing, help us get rid of cowboys and report this muppet to gas safe let him be prosecuted

big and go on to the gas safe website check his detail to see if he is really a gas safe, anyone can check

I do have his gas safe registration number and so do Glowworm, but I think it would be unfair to post it or how much I paid him on this forum. The Boiler was installed a week ago, but in hindsight has fortunately only been running in hot water mode as the downstairs radiators where not getting warm.......

In addition I withheld the vast majority (80%) of what they were due for the installation as the system was not working properly.

The question I have now is do I trust them enough to allow them to put it right.

Dont let this muppet back in your house, keep the money you owe him to have the installation put right. Also with the state of the flue you may have other problems with the boiler, gas run, gas pressures etc. Get it checked out ASAP by another engineer

Don't feed the trolls!!

The earlier comments are honestly not everyone jumping on the bandwagon. That is a terrible install. Looks very dangerous. Don't let whoever installed it back into your home, and don't pay them another penny...

Call Gas Safe and arrange for a free inspection. Don't use the boiler in the mean time. That means for hot water and central heating. The install looks very dodgy.

thats bad,,, thats not on

Last edited by a moderator:

I don't think I would trust him to put it right.

You said you have a GSR number - is it a genuine number and is it really his and is he the person in the photograph?
He might be using a stollen id card.

do not allow them back into your home, contact gas safe asap, and contact another GS engineer to finsish/put right the bad work. where do you live?

Weren't you was it?! You do not hold flues to joists and purlins with duct tape! You don't. You just don't.

Erm, no, it wasn't me. At least I don't think so? No, I do repairs.
If you look at my earlier post I agree that the flue is not right, it should have the correct supports fitted, because tape/banding/crushed 15mm copper with holes drilled in/stockings/bungey straps/air hooks/tv cables/strawberry laces/etc are incorrect. I was mearly saying that the elbows could be present and without looking you can't tell.

Sent from my X10i using Tapatalk

Must have cost more in duct tape than it would have if he had fitted flue brackets!!!!..........Bring back proper apprenticeships!!.

The problem with not reporting them, can have and no doubt will have a detrimental effect, i.e. will or can be more dangerous. Although I can completely understand peoples reluctance to report an installers work, "he was a very nice chap" "he was cheap" "he's a friend" "I don't want to drop him in it" and all other manner of reasons.
What you have to remember is, before working on your property he was working elsewhere, it may have been one of your friends or relations house and he come to you by recommendation. So they may now also be at risk. He's also moving on to his next job now and possibly putting that customer at risk. Having been advised by so many in this thread, that you should report this matter as a matter of urgency. You also have a duty of care to these people where he may now be working. By reporting the installation to Gas Safe, they can insist that he provides a list of all addresses where he has worked. Gas Safe can, if they feel it is appropriate, write to everyone in a certain area and advise them of the installer's poor workmanship, telling them that they may be at risk.
Gas Safe may, depending on what they think, suggest that the installer needs just a little bit more training in his chosen field. But when you go to bed at night you need to sleep peacefully. You do not want to be reading about the installer in the local newspaper and how he has been charged with manslaughter and then say to yourself "I could have prevented that 5 year old from dieing, if only I had called Gas Safe"!!!
By having a Gas Safe inspection
icon7.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Those pictures are beyond words. I hope for your sake you get Gas Safe in to look at this.

I agree, please please please call Gas Safe. You've turned your boiler off in time and had a very lucky escape. His next victim may not be so lucky!

I have only just seen this and the simple answer is NO it is not safe

I still think this is a - nicely done! - wind up. There's no other sensible explanation....

i'm just waiting on someone saying it was done by a short course trainee, when in all probability it has been in for years and was done by a registered (although incompetant) engineer
maybe the comment has been made, i haven't read through all the posts :)

Having re-read this thread, taking another look at the photo's and also taking into account the manufacturers visit who would have checked the flue. This is nothing more than others have said...a wind up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Is this flue safe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all. Hope you have all been keeping well. A while back I decided I only wanted to fit one brand of boiler and decided on Viessmann due to...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock