Discuss is NVQ level 2 in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

scottyblen

is NVQ level 2 goverment subsidised/funded for over 25s?

BY this i mean if you are employed in the industry and are going to a local college

Last edited by a moderator:
Dunno! might be if you are on benefits.
Job Centre should be able to tell you or try direct.gov.uk website

Dunno! might be if you are on benefits.
Job Centre should be able to tell you or try direct.gov.uk website

my apologies, i did mean if i was employed by an employer and undertaking the NVQ level 2. is the employer given any incentives to employ an over 25 year old to do the NVQ level 2.

I think my post may still be valid Scotty, any grants would probably be provided by the Department of Work and Pensions.

Doubt it very much

I work very hard and have had to pay for everything. And now with a baby on the way all I will get is child benefit

If your on the dole you'd probably get your gas for free

Doubt it very much

I work very hard and have had to pay for everything. And now with a baby on the way all I will get is child benefit

If your on the dole you'd probably get your gas for free

I'll have to find out how to get on the dole, I want to get some stuff for free.

(and I'm not joking) fed up paying out all the time.

Mate I'm 30 and self employed, I've been knocking heating systems in for a few year with only having city & guilds, I obviously work along side an engineer, any way, I was booked in to do my gas and found out my old college had messed up my NVQ (apparently there famous for it) I approached another college and explained my situation, they said they've had numerous ex students from my old college. The guy I work with is happy to sign and says he employs me directly, and the college is putting me through the NVQ free of charge as they get paid for me doing it! I've started it too so it's all ok, I'm doing it over 10 week then going right on my gas

Mate I'm 30 and self employed, I've been knocking heating systems in for a few year with only having city & guilds, I obviously work along side an engineer, any way, I was booked in to do my gas and found out my old college had messed up my NVQ (apparently there famous for it) I approached another college and explained my situation, they said they've had numerous ex students from my old college. The guy I work with is happy to sign and says he employs me directly, and the college is putting me through the NVQ free of charge as they get paid for me doing it! I've started it too so it's all ok, I'm doing it over 10 week then going right on my gas

so the local colleges get paid if your employed in the industry with no tution costs to you? which college messed up your NVQ?

i am not sure if i want to do plumbing city and guilds level 2, the main reason being is that i may not find employment in the industry and over time the qualification will become dated. me paying ÂŁ4,000 all my savings on this course and getting no work out of it is very worrying.

It's just a small college where I live mate, please don't let this knock your goals but work is so tight all over the place at the minute and everyone is undercutting each other, if your wanting any kind of job within the plumbing industry then employers are looking for solid experience, my genuine advice would be to not throw 4 grand away at the min on a quick plumbing course, anyone else reading this will probably back me up

FE Loans that are due to be implemented might be good for over 25s and the self employed, because you do not have to pay the loan back if you earn less than 21K per year.

It is unlikely that over 21K can be earned by a new starter for several years (note this is clear profit after overheads).

So for older students this is a bonus as the link describes:

Will FE loans widen participation? - FE News

"Some research indicates that older people are adverse to debt, but if sold to them well they might have the most to benefit from Loans. Most pensioners do not earn ÂŁ21,000. For them the loans system amounts to a free course. Providers might see the benefit of working with this age group, which is growing as the population ages. The lack of an Equivalent or Lower Qualification policy for FE loans also means it is possible for professors with PhDs to retrain as plumbers. Very nice for them and perhaps good for the economy too, but is it the kind of widening participation that is so desperately needed?
However, elsewhere many people will surely see the loan as a worthwhile investment in their future career and prosperity in return for quality learning. And as the market for learners intensifies the performance of providers will be critical."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to is NVQ level 2 in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
I just wanted to know this before potentially starting an NVQ level 2 in Plumbing and Heating next year or so because I might find it difficult to...
Replies
Views
  • Question
I was curious about how many tasks you lot did to pass your portfolio in NVQ level 2 P&H. Thanks.
Replies
Views
I got my water regs when I completed my NVQ level 3, in 2017. Do you have to renew this every year?
Replies
Views
I want to start working on the gas side of plumbing and heating. I am a sole trader working with plumbing and heating and have the NVQ level 2.I...
Replies
Views
I recently had a new 2023 Vaillant ecoTec plus 630 (30kW) system boiler installed along with a Low Loss Header (LLH) in my house. I have 21 rads...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock