Discuss Is a pool heat exchanger suitable for a communal heating system? in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello all and Merry Christmas,

We are in the process of planning the replacement of our 50-year old heating boiler serving a residential block of 12 flats with a total of 60 radiators. It is a vented single-pipe heating system, which has not been properly maintained, and we only recently installed a commercial magnetic filter to filter out as much sludge as we can prior to the replacement. We will be installing a 100kw boiler. I know that we could also install two 50kw boilers, but this is a matter for a different post. A heat exchanger will protect the new boiler from the old vented system. Our installer suggested that we use the following pool heat exchanger, because it has 2 inch connections matching our 2 inch pipes and also has larger waterways so that it does not get clogged.

POOL HEAT EXCHANGER NORDIC B300 88KW (300KBTU/H)
Pool Heat Exchanger NORDIC B300 88kW (300kBTU/h) - https://nordictec-store.com/b-line-pool-heat-exchangers/171-pool-heat-exchanger-nordic-b300-88kw-300kbtuh.html

How suitable is this pool heat exchanger for our purposes? I am concerned that it may not be as efficient as a normal heat exchanger. Also, the suggested heat exchanger is 88kw, yet the new boiler will be 100kW.

I can order a normal heat exchanger with 2 inch connectors and to address the clogging issue I could use a CMX inline filter like this one here from Addey: MagnaClean CMX® | ADEY - https://www.adey.com/product/magnaclean-cmx The medium and large models can also be used inline.

I would appreciate your feedback.

Below is information for the pool heat exchanger:

POOL HEAT EXCHANGER NORDIC B300 88KW (300KBTU/H): €319.99 VAT included
Pool&Spa Heat Exchanger B300
Nordic Tec B-Serie
Nominal Capacity: 88kW
based on 60 °C difference between heating and heated medium (water to water),
with counter-courent work

Material: Stainless steel 316L
Heat Exchange surface: 0.64 m²
Connections: 2x 2" & 2x 1 1/2"
Important Note: If one of media is glicol, the capacity will be only 85-90% of nominal one
Pool&Spa Heat Exchanger B300

Nordic Tec B-Serie
Technical Details:
Nominal value 88kW (power/capacity) is based on 60 °C difference
between heating water and pool water (calculations are different for other media).
If there is other temperature difference, the capacity is following:
60 °C = 100%
50 °C = 85%
40 °C = 70%
30 °C = 55%
The nominal flowrates values are also required to achieve the declared capacity.

Nominal flowrates: 42/325 l/min (one of opportunities)

Last edited:
Plates don’t like dirty system so you might need a cleanable one with individual plates this won’t be cheap

Good for metal particles but not good for everything else

That’s perfect strange adey don’t spec it on there website

It is listed on their website under "Commercial and Industrial:

Reply to Is a pool heat exchanger suitable for a communal heating system? in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
Our kitchen mixer tap has started dripping. Like so much of the plumbing in our almost new build bungalow, it is lacking! The plumber didn't...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock