Discuss Inadequate Circulator Pump? in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

might just be metal expanding on first heat up

might just be metal expanding on first heat up

It's actually the flame, the second it fires up I can hear it shuddering and popping for a few seconds. Say around 10 seconds then it goes solid burn no popping or hesitation thereafter.

On reading up on tiger loops and single line oil systems they do appear to be a good idea anyway to ensure maximum efficiency and eliminate any potential for air bubbles at the nozzle which I suspect is the problem. There may be tiny air bubbles in the oil line then as it sits overnight these go up near the pump and it has to clear them when first firing up.

And no need to bleed oil line either if the tank runs out of oil.

Last edited:
Oil fired boilers in general do not need ABVs as the Hx holds 20/25 litres of water which acts as a buffer so when the boiler+ pump cuts out, the water temperature (from a target temp of say 70C) will not rise > 90C/95C, a long way from the hi limit lockout of 113C. Gas boilers have a Hx content of only a few litres and this is why they have a timed pump overrun after all zone valves shut, the water then has no where to go so need a ABV.

Great explanation 👌 thanks for that I will not bother with an ABV in this instance it should be aok without it unless trv noise is a problem but does not appear to be even with the house up a 24c this evening.

TRV noise (or lack of) has always been a bit of a mystery to me, I have used them for years and have never had a problem with noise, I have now replaced almost all, apart from one Myson, as the plastic heads were getting a bit brittle after 10/12 years or so, I have replaced them with EPH and all of them are/and always have been installed horizontally on the rad returns. Some makes seem more prone to noisy operation, your's must also be "noise free" as the pump on setting1 is still producing 5M.

Getting some progress on boiler room. Insulating pipes now, there is a pair of 22mm pipes very close together. For those I'll slice the insulation with a razor so both layers fit around the pipes. Is there a better way to do that? Kind of want all the insulation the same VS using a wrap.

20220104_205738.jpg
20220104_205834.jpg

All pipes will be fully lagged. Then on the small radiator in here I'll keep turned on low. And fit a frost stat inside this room which will override the downstairs zone. That should protect the whole system from getting frozen. (Both internal room stats also have set back temp settings and frost stat if turned on standby)

New fire ceiling going in and will paint floor to finish the boiler room.

Reply to Inadequate Circulator Pump? in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have an ideal vogue max S18 boiler and I’m considering fitting auto balancing TRVs, my question relates to the boilers pump. I see a boiler...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold...
Replies
Views
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up...
Replies
Views
PSxxxxxx
P
Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock