Discuss Illegal heating engineer in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Gromit

Hello gentleman. I've had a new boiler and cylinder installed. I became suspicious after a few things were done wrong - nothing serious, but silly things like wires being attached to hot pipes instead of being properly tied to the wall and also the controller was wired wrong which meant that the pump was contantly running.

Anyway, after I pointed these issues out they were resolved but as I said I became suspicious and asked to see the installer's Gas Safe card. It transpired that neither installer was Gas Safe even though they started the system and ran it for a week before their Gas Safe engineer came along and signed it off (he was Gas Safe - I saw his card).

What, if anything can I do about these people, passing themselves off as qualified and illegally installing boilers? It looks like I've got away with it but what might they do to others I'm thinking. These blokes are from Poland and their Gas Safe friend who signed it off is also Polish. Thing is the Gas Safe guy didn't do the work and came to inspect a system which the non registered guys had already connected and commissioned.

Also I bet the electrician wasn't qualified either. If I hadn't noticed, because they wired the controller up wrong the pump would still be running 24/7 and God knows what would have happened. I hate people who masquarade as qualified in a trade with potentially lethal results.

Thing is that as the guy is not registered there isn't anything Gas Safe could do to him. Criminal offence I'd have thought but I doubt old bill would be interested.

PS. don't forget that Gas Safe is run by Capita who are under licence from the HSE

Thank you. I have a real problem with people who work with anything dangerous ie gas or electricity without qualifications. If a plumber does a bodge job the worst that happens is a flood. If a so called gas engineer or electrician gets it wrong it can be catastrophic. It takes a long time to train to do a trade the legal way and in this case some bloke gets off a coach from Poland one day and starts installing boilers the next. If he hadn't connected it I wouldn't be so angry, but me and the mrs and two young kids were living for a week next to an illegally installed boiler.

I didn't know plumbers were allowed to work on cylinders. Bang

there not they need g3 unvented cylinders its a diffrent qualifcation hence what toddyplumb said ,just wonder why you got polish people when there are plenty of british gas safe people

you pay for what you get,polish undercutting us.
dont want to alarm you but you,ve spotted basic errors on display,what about plumbing/gas fittings under floors/in boxing in.
saving a few quid,i,ve no sypthy for you,you took a risk ,now its going to cost you more,i know i would,nt be happy until its ripped out and replaced,also the second guy could of had a fake gas card.you live and learn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Illegal heating engineer in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Article
A Plumber Who Worked Illegally Gets A Suspended Sentence After Falsely Claiming To Be Gas Safe Registered. A Plumber in Herefordshire was...
Replies
Views
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up...
Replies
Views
PSxxxxxx
P

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock