Discuss Ideas on removing 4" cast iron stack in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Best

Esteemed
Plumber
Subscribed
I have to remove & replace a complete cast iron soil pipe from the rear of a house - in a small back yard.
It is well jointed by the looks of it & needs taken out of the clay sewer bend without damaging that also.
Any ideas how I should safely go about this - perhaps I could cut it into sections, but how & what blade? Been years since I had to remove one & this looks risky.

I usually just break each joint with a lump hammer then take it down from the top. Try and stick rubble sack down the bottom to stop prices falling down the drain

I've done a few of these myself. Not my favourite job to do.

I find it best to break it up into manageable pieces starting from the top down using a lump hammer.

I have used a disc cutter before with metal cutting blade but have found that this leaves metal dust all over the wall you are cutting near & when it gets wet from rain or moisture it can leave rust steaks everywhere. Not good if its a rendered & painted light colour wall.

Agree to also plug bottom of drain to prevent too many pieces blocking it up.

Thanks for reply, Jimbob!

Tbh, I had forgot that I could break the joints with a hammer! Had been thinking if I hit the pipe with a 2lb hammer the bits would go into sewer & there is no obvious manhole. I can't risk breaking the clay bend in ground, so will have to drill carefully the cement joint first.
The vent part, with the offsets is the hardest part as so heavy for up a ladder.

Chain cutters are good, you might struggle using one up a ladder while trying to hold the bit you chop off.

Lump hammer from the top down in manageable sections.

Tomlane, - thanks, & I agree it is not my favourite job either! :smile: Thats a very going point about the metal dust causing rust stains - although this house has old brick walls which are not in perfect condition anyhow, but guess the windows, door & concrete yard would show staining. I can't block the sewer sadly.

TBService, also thanks for reply, - I will look at chain cutters, although never used one before tbh. I usually try to do everything without hiring. The builder who also owns the property has offered to help me.

Hire a cast iron chain cutter. The easiest, cleanest and fastest way easily.

Good shout, never used a chain cutter myself but strikes me as being far easier & less messy than hammer option & also disc cutter option!

cut a slot low down with the angle grinder and slide a spare blade in to stop the crud going down the drain

JONES_SOIL_PIPE__4f42c5b9dab97.jpgTake the links out so that it fits the size of pipe you have. It works just like copper tube cutters, easiest & safest way to take down a stack in sections. IMHO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Ideas on removing 4" cast iron stack in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock