Discuss Ideal logic+ combi 24 - Pressure loss - what to try next in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

hjm

Hi,
I have had an Ideal logic 24 in my flat for about 4 years. In the last month or 2 it has started needing the pressure topping up every 2 days. Its under warranty so Ideal came out and replaced the flow turbine, sump, heat exchanger and svalve but without any difference seen. We've not seen any leaks around the radiators in the flat and as the flat is in a very old block it has wood floors with the flat below only separated by that and a plasterboard ceiling. The neighbour downstairs says he can see no signs of water leaking into his flat either which based on the construction and regular topping up I thought we'd see.

Ideal tell me they have done everything on the boiler side that could cause the problem so without signs of a leak I'm struggling badly for an answer to the cause of this. I was hoping someone might have seen something similar with this boiler before? Also, we ran the heating for a while and the pipe that goes outside from the boiler shows no sign of water coming out either.

The next things I was going to try is to isolate the radiator out/in valves and leave it for a while but Ideal tell me that whilst isolated I shouldn't run the hot water/heating as it can damage the boiler so I'm wondering whether this test would actually show me for sure if there is definitely a leak somewhere?

I also plan to get a plumber to put some sealant in the system in case that helps - judging by the speed of the pressure loss then I guess if it is a leak there is a good chance sealant won't do much anyway but worth a try I guess.

Any thoughts / suggestions most welcome,
Thanks
Hayden

Hi,
I have had an Ideal logic 24 in my flat for about 4 years. In the last month or 2 it has started needing the pressure topping up every 2 days. Its under warranty so Ideal came out and replaced the flow turbine, sump, heat exchanger and svalve but without any difference seen. We've not seen any leaks around the radiators in the flat and as the flat is in a very old block it has wood floors with the flat below only separated by that and a plasterboard ceiling. The neighbour downstairs says he can see no signs of water leaking into his flat either which based on the construction and regular topping up I thought we'd see.

Ideal tell me they have done everything on the boiler side that could cause the problem so without signs of a leak I'm struggling badly for an answer to the cause of this. I was hoping someone might have seen something similar with this boiler before? Also, we ran the heating for a while and the pipe that goes outside from the boiler shows no sign of water coming out either.

The next things I was going to try is to isolate the radiator out/in valves and leave it for a while but Ideal tell me that whilst isolated I shouldn't run the hot water/heating as it can damage the boiler so I'm wondering whether this test would actually show me for sure if there is definitely a leak somewhere?

I also plan to get a plumber to put some sealant in the system in case that helps - judging by the speed of the pressure loss then I guess if it is a leak there is a good chance sealant won't do much anyway but worth a try I guess.

Any thoughts / suggestions most welcome,
Thanks
Hayden

is the prv leaking? (pipe out side) and call a gas safe engineer out

Thanks Shaun, that pipe isn't leaking. I'm based in SE1 (london) if anyone on here covers that area then please msg me as it looks like I need someone to take a look.

put your request in here [DLMURL="http://www.ukplumbersforums.co.uk/im-looking-plumber-gas-engineer/"]I'm looking for a Plumber or Gas Engineer[/DLMURL] and im sure one of our members will replay

If it's not leaking from the main heat exchanger through the sump (obviously not as Ideal have changed them)
And it's not dripping out of the PRP,

The only other ways I could expect to see such constant pressure loss without being able to see a leak would be

1 - dripping valve on a towel rail onto a tiled bathroom floor, and you end up just mopping it up and thinking its just a bit of spray from when you're using the shower.

2 - a pinhole in the Domestic hot water heat exchanger, meaning the pressure from your sealed heating circuit is being lost into your hot water pipework and disappearing out of the hot water taps when you run them.
You can check for that by topping the pressure and then isolating the cold water into the boiler and seeing if the pressure still drops?

Hope this helps

And I'm afraid the advice above is all we can give you on this.

Job 38.11

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Ideal logic+ combi 24 - Pressure loss - what to try next in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I have a Worcester 28i junior boiler that has started to lose pressure, only when using the central heating. When using hot water I have no...
Replies
Views
I have done pressure test for 2" high pressure pipe line by closing the pipe with rubber plugs at the ends. It was 3 bar and I kept it for 24...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock